Script for automating web access count

Post by Pankaj M Saxe » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

        I am trying to put an access counter on my web page. Not having CGI
on my server, I would like to use the server logs to get the access
information I need. I am using WWWSTAT for the purpose.

        I would like to automate the following task through a shell script:

1. go to the directory /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs
2. there are several files in this directory that are of the form:
        access_log.archive.1995.xxxxx.yy:yy:yy.gz
                where:
                        xxxxx is a date, like Jun22
                        yy:yy:yy is the time, like 23:46:45
                        gz indicates that the files are gzip'ed
3. pick the file that has the most recent date and time on it and copy it
   to my home directory, i.e., /homes/home1/pankaj
4. In my home directory, the script should gunzip the file to a different
   name - call it "a_log".
5. After decompressing the file to "a_log", run the following command:
        wwwstat -olur -n '^/~pankaj/' a_log > log.html
6. Then, move the file generated by the previous command (log.html) to the
   directory: /homes/home1/pankaj/public_html
7. At the same time, also append the contents of the file "log.html" to
   another file called "all_logs.data" also in the same directory.
8. Next, change the mode of the file "log.html" in the "public_html"
   directory to a+r

        I wonder if anyone has a script that does these things. What I am
trying to do is to generate a log of accesses to my web page and make it
available as an html document. I do not have CGI, so I am forced to work
with the server logs. I use the program WWWSTAT (version 1.0) to generate
the html document from the access logs for the server.

        I am on a unix system (RS/6000 running AIX 4.1.2). I generally use
ksh for my login shell, so I would prefer to use this shell for the script.

        I would appreciate any help I can get in writing this script. Also,
if anyone has written a script that does these things (or something that
can be modified to do the stuff I described), I would appreciate a copy.

        Thanks.

Pankaj