boldface font in plain term window

Post by gol.. » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 06:47:00

Hello,

I am wondering if by any chance (doubt it though)
it'd be possible to highlight text in a plain terminal window...
For example, in output of
   echo foo boo
i'd like to have `foo' in boldface font or anyhow selected
(different color, etc.)
is there any generic enough way, which would work equally fine
for say Bash on Linux as well as Cygnus Bash under WinNT (no X
environment, but almost every GNU utility is available/ported)?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
  Dmitry

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Tristan Quaif » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:50:33

> Hello,

> I am wondering if by any chance (doubt it though)
> it'd be possible to highlight text in a plain terminal window...
> For example, in output of
>    echo foo boo
> i'd like to have `foo' in boldface font or anyhow selected
> (different color, etc.)
> is there any generic enough way, which would work equally fine
> for say Bash on Linux as well as Cygnus Bash under WinNT (no X
> environment, but almost every GNU utility is available/ported)?

> Thanks a lot!

echo -e "\033[1;37mfoo\033[0;37m bar"

Will print foo in bold and bar in normal on a Linux
terminal, but I couldn't say if it will work under
NT with Cygnus Bash (I'd guess not infact, as the
console escape sequences are probably different).

Tristan.

boldface font in plain term window

Post by kevin_coll.. » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:02:55

Hi,

    see 'man tput' - specifically the smso attribute...

Kevin

> Hello,

> I am wondering if by any chance (doubt it though)
> it'd be possible to highlight text in a plain terminal window...
> For example, in output of
>    echo foo boo
> i'd like to have `foo' in boldface font or anyhow selected
> (different color, etc.)
> is there any generic enough way, which would work equally fine
> for say Bash on Linux as well as Cygnus Bash under WinNT (no X
> environment, but almost every GNU utility is available/ported)?

> Thanks a lot!

> Best regards,
>   Dmitry

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

boldface font in plain term window

Post by mweaver1.. » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 03:08:57

Use the tput bold command.
This will turn BOLD ON.
B='tput bold'

This will turn BOLD OFF.
BO='tput rmso'

Then use the variable in an echo or print statment.

echo "${B}YOUR TEXT HERE${BO}"
print "${B}YOUR TEXT HERE${BO}"

> Hello,

> I am wondering if by any chance (doubt it though)
> it'd be possible to highlight text in a plain terminal window...
> For example, in output of
>    echo foo boo
> i'd like to have `foo' in boldface font or anyhow selected
> (different color, etc.)
> is there any generic enough way, which would work equally fine
> for say Bash on Linux as well as Cygnus Bash under WinNT (no X
> environment, but almost every GNU utility is available/ported)?

> Thanks a lot!

> Best regards,
>   Dmitry

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Bill Marc » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 05:34:03

>Use the tput bold command.
>This will turn BOLD ON.
>B='tput bold'

>This will turn BOLD OFF.
>BO='tput rmso'

Wouldn't it work better if you used `back quotes`?

1. X windows fonts, term em

Is there a way to change the default font for all X windows
applications?  At 1024x768 I find the default to be a bit unreadable
on my lowly 14 inch screen.   I am aware of the '-fn' specifier, but I
was wondering where the default selection came from.

Additionaly, I have noticed that some linux binaries do not pipe
correctly to the more command. Examples are sz,rz,and tar. If I type
"tar +help | more" the result scrolls off the top of the screen.  This
does not happen on the other flavors of Unix I have used.  Is there a
way around this (other than using very long windows in X11!)

Finally, is there an ANSI colour terminal in the SLS distribution (or is
there one coming?).  Seyon is an all right terminal, but I really miss
the colors!

---
t CmpQwk #UNREGt UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY

2. Tape utilities for reading IBM packed format tapes from SCSI

3. HOWTO - Run "plain jane" x windows with mulitple xterm windows

4. DNS domain name problem

5. Windows media Player plug-ins

6. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

7. unix font similar to Windows "symbol" font

8. Right click on a PowerBook 3400?

9. Samba and Windows plain text passwords

10. X-Windows probem with fonts and windows

11. X Windows Window Manager & Fonts

12. Console (I know this is X windows newsgroup) font/window size