kde konsole with TERM=xterm.. is this right setting?

kde konsole with TERM=xterm.. is this right setting?

Post by eugene ki » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:48:51

hi..

i have a problem with vi..
after vi, i have to flush out screen everytime since previous commands and
the outputs are below my cursor..

with some searching, found out it's matter of terminal..
i use konsole..
and echo $TERM gives me xterm

is there anything i can do against the odd vi behavior?

thank you..

Post by Thomas Dicke » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 20:07:41

> i have a problem with vi..
> after vi, i have to flush out screen everytime since previous commands and
> the outputs are below my cursor..
> with some searching, found out it's matter of terminal..
> i use konsole..

That's one of konsole's bugs:  it misimplements the xterm alternate screen
features, additionally equating XFree86 xterm's private mode 1049 as the xterm
private mode 47 - which is incorrect (both deal with switching between normal
and alternate screens).  Reading the source code for konsole tells me that the
KDE developers did not bother to read the ctlseqs.ms file which I updated for
XFree86 xterm.  (That was done at least a year before konsole was written).

konsole's been partially fixed for a few months, but konsole doesn't report a
different version number (so I could not possibly tell you how to see whether
the detail that I'm describing has been addressed in your copy of konsole ;-).

Quote:> and echo $TERM gives me xterm

there's an up-to-date entry for 'konsole' in

        ftp://dickey.his.com/ncurses/terminfo.src.gz

Quote:> is there anything i can do against the odd vi behavior?

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

1. xterm scrollbar on right? Or other term emulator?

I'm afraid I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway... is there
a resource I can set to convince xterm (and other Athena-based
programs) to put the vertical scrollbar on the right instead of the
left?  Using a pen-based system, having the scrollbar on the left is a
major pain!

Alternatively, are there any other good terminal emulators out there?
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone:  (505) 646-1605
Assistant Professor                  FAX:    (505) 646-1002
Department of Computer Science       http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003

2. How can you tell when you are really old?

4. Mylex DAC960P-2

5. CSA

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. Netscape Communicator for RedHat 4.2 Linux

8. Getting TERM set right

9. telnet from xterm doesn't set right # of rows

10. How do I autoset "TERM=xterm" for xterms?

11. I am having trouble setting up KDE, and any help would be most appreciated

12. Help w/xterm settings in KDE