"stty: tcgetattr: A specified file does not support the ioctl system call."

"stty: tcgetattr: A specified file does not support the ioctl system call."

Post by NYWalke » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 06:16:42

This error was found in VCS log on an IBM 570 running AIX 5.2, VCS 3.5.
 When tried to shutdown/start a resource, this error was logged.
(Background, when shutdown/start a resource - VCS engine calls
shutdown/startup scripts.)

I suspect the error was generated due to root's .profile a line like
stty erase ^

I've changed the .profile as follow:
tty -s && stty erase ^

Haven't have a chance to run startup/shutdown again. Anyone has seen
this error?

"stty: tcgetattr: A specified file does not support the ioctl system call."

Post by Juha Laih » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:18:27

Quote:>This error was found in VCS log on an IBM 570 running AIX 5.2, VCS 3.5.
> When tried to shutdown/start a resource, this error was logged.
>(Background, when shutdown/start a resource - VCS engine calls
>shutdown/startup scripts.)

>I suspect the error was generated due to root's .profile a line like
>stty erase ^

>I've changed the .profile as follow:
>tty -s && stty erase ^

>Haven't have a chance to run startup/shutdown again. Anyone has seen
>this error?

That's a mostly correct solution -- I've seen some odd cases where
something else was also needed (if I just could remember what and where;
could be that some things acted strange when used through a pty -
Emacs shell window, perhaps?).

Another command you may need to enclose within a similar condition
is "tset" (if that's used anywhere any more).

stty and tset placed in improper places (unguarded in global shell rc
files, per-account rc files of "wrong" accounts) can make most
spectacular problems, e.g. break printing subsystems (seen on HP-UX).
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

1. stty: tcgetattr: A specified file does not support the ioctl system call.

This error was found in VCS log on an IBM 570 running AIX 5.2, VCS 3.5.

 When tried to shutdown/start a resource, this error was logged.
(Background, when shutdown/start a resource - VCS engine calls
shutdown/startup scripts.)

I suspect the error was generated due to root's .profile a line like
stty erase ^

I've changed the .profile as follow:
tty -s && stty erase ^

Haven't have a chance to run startup/shutdown again. Anyone has seen
this error?

2. Vague question on Winmodem, AC97, Toshiba laptop and lm.h

3. tcgetattr: A file does not support the ioctl system call

4. formal description of linux kernel

5. "Interrupted system call" at "low level" - system calls

6. solaris 7 x86 patches

7. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

8. loop back broken in 2.2.14

9. Change "stty erase ^?" for "stty erase ^H"

11. what system call is used for "trcnm" and "genkex"?

12. vi "stty: TCGETS: Operation not supported on socket"

13. Why it's call "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux"