Mail to files

Post by andy.. » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi All!

Using RH 6.0 get mail in /var/mail/userbox by
sendmail
and need for some users to get attachments in
file in some directory.
Also it must be done as mail come - may be by
cron ?
I stop at some script ... But may be there is
some subject for
that?
Could anyone help.

Thanks

Andrew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mail to files

Post by Sergio Mendoz » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

   The best way of doing that is using procmail (I think).
You'll have to configure it a little bit to your own needs, but you will
be able to get what you want.  Also, don't forget to check the man page
for procmailex (examples for procmail)...

Regards,

Sergio.

> Hi All!
> Using RH 6.0 get mail in /var/mail/userbox by
> sendmail
> and need for some users to get attachments in
> file in some directory.
> Also it must be done as mail come - may be by
> cron ?
> I stop at some script ... But may be there is
> some subject for
> that?
> Could anyone help.

> Thanks
> Andrew

1. mail problem: file permissions for lock file

I've recently changed the file permissions on /usr/spool/mail to

drwxrwxrwx   2 bin      mail         512 Aug  3 12:02 /usr/spool/mail/
-rw-rw----   1 kessi    mail         647 Aug  3 12:02 /usr/spool/mail/kessi

to make xmailtool (a public domain X mailer) work. They used to be

drwxrwxr-x   2 bin      mail         512 Aug  3 11:24 /usr/spool/mail/
-rw-rw----   1 kessi    mail           0 Jun 23 12:08 /usr/spool/mail/kessi

before, and xmailtool was unable to create a lock file in /usr/spool/mail.
Now some people who are trying to mail to me have been getting messages back
with the error message

  --- The transcript of the session follows ---
bellmail: cannot create lock file /usr/spool/mail/kessi.lock: The file access
permissions do not allow the specified action.
550 kessi... Insufficient permission

Can anyone tell me what is exactly happening? And how to solve it? ;-)
I suppose the bellmail on my machine which is trying to create the
lock file. What is this lock file exactly good for? Why are the mails
sometimes delivered and sometimes not?

Thanks a ton for any hints! Best regards,

Alain

--

Paul Scherrer Institut, Zuerich, Switzerland

2. pay rates for sysadmin?

3. mail a file to a list of addresses in a file

4. ISDN Teles 8

5. Mail Status File with the File Name Changes by Date

6. si_code values for SIG_SEGV

7. mail to file : unable to create file

8. First Open Call for Submissions

9. Handling /usr/spool/mail/ files: file locking?

10. Retain access times on mail spool files despite backups?

11. Help, mail header files

12. Mail a file from a cron job

13. Automated mail > file cat & decoding ?