ftp automated batch copy

Post by m.hoe » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

urrently, I am trying to do a automated/batched/scripted copy of a directory
tree and all files in it from one system to another. I do not know in
advance what the files are called, so i will have to be using wildcards like
*. Due to security restrictions which are enforced by other parties which I
am unable to influence, the only available connection method to me between
these systems is by ftp.

Currently I seem to be facing two issues.

The first is that, as far as i can tell, ftp seems to be unable to copy
subdirectorys. Is there a way to make ftp copy subdirectorys as well, or is
there an enhanced ftp client available which is able to do this?

The second issue is that, when i use ftp using the mput/mget * command, ftp
seems to want a manual confirmation of each file i am trying to copy. This
makes it unpractical for automated/scripted purposes. Is there a way around
this?

All suggestions are more than welcome.

ftp automated batch copy

Post by brian hile » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Currently, I am trying to do a automated/batched/scripted copy of a directory
> tree and all files in it from one system to another. I do not know in
> advance what the files are called, so i will have to be using wildcards like
> *. Due to security restrictions which are enforced by other parties which I
> am unable to influence, the only available connection method to me between
> these systems is by ftp.
> Currently I seem to be facing two issues.
> The first is that, as far as i can tell, ftp seems to be unable to copy
> subdirectorys. Is there a way to make ftp copy subdirectorys as well, or is
> there an enhanced ftp client available which is able to do this?
> The second issue is that, when i use ftp using the mput/mget * command, ftp
> seems to want a manual confirmation of each file i am trying to copy. This
> makes it unpractical for automated/scripted purposes. Is there a way around
> this?

As referred to in a very similar thread, I give again the suggestion
(and URL) of a workable ftp frontend that enables you to do all
that you need without needing to know the details or the algorithms
of the process:

ftp://ftp.mindspring.com/users/mwang/unix-prog/niftp/

-Brian

Quote:> All suggestions are more than welcome.

ftp automated batch copy

Post by Ken Pizzi » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>The first is that, as far as i can tell, ftp seems to be unable to copy
>subdirectorys. Is there a way to make ftp copy subdirectorys as well, or is
>there an enhanced ftp client available which is able to do this?

There are several.  brian hiles has already pointed out niftp;
for scripted ftp (and http) transfers I tend to be fond of wget.
Then there's ncftp, and lftp, GET (from the libwww perl package),
and others that I'm forgetting right now, all of which are
better ftp clients than the 20ish year-old ftp client you appear
to be using.

Quote:>The second issue is that, when i use ftp using the mput/mget * command, ftp
>seems to want a manual confirmation of each file i am trying to copy. This
>makes it unpractical for automated/scripted purposes. Is there a way around
>this?

If you wind up being stuck using that ftp client, you'll want to
know that the "prompt" command toggles the "confirm each file"
prompt off and on.  That is to say, before your first mget/mput
command, give the ftp client a single "prompt" command.

                --Ken Pizzini

1. ftp automated batch copy

[...]

2. Specs of Orchestra's 15" French Horn

3. KDE 'search path'?

4. "secure" rshd package (or any automated, non-ftp file copying)

5. .conf file editing instructions. Where ?

6. Encrypting ftp password in ftp batch script???

7. Bootable QIC tape

8. FDISK: Possible to run in automated (batch) mode?

9. scp - Secure Copy in Perl/batch mode

10. Automating smbclient to copy yesterdays logfile

11. Automating smbclient nightly copies

12. bug in at/batch causes batch jobs to be truncated