Valid shell

Post by Zeljko Boro » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hello!

> I tried to change my Unix shell. Unfortunately the system (Solaris 2.5)
> doesn't let me do that. Here are the outputs:

> %passwd -e (which is equal to chsh)
> Old shell: /bin/csh
> New shell: /usr/local/bin/tcsh
> %/usr/local/bin/tcsh is unacceptable as a new shell.

> So what's the problem?

> TIA.

> - Yeh

If the shell isn't in the /etc/shells file, it's not recognized as valid
login shell.
Just enter the path to the executable. This is my /etc/shells:

/usr/bin/sh
/usr/bin/csh
/usr/bin/ksh
/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/ksh
/usr/local/bin/tcsh

--

Zelja>>>
                         http://ravnica.ptfos.hr/cp

1. register valid shells in solaris 2.4 at?

When I try to set a users shell to bash, they cannot login with ftp due
to the bash shell not beingg registered.  I'm familiar with /etc/shells
location but have been unable to locate where the location is on solaris 2.4.
I looked in the FAQ but no go.  Any clues much appreciated.

2. KDE 3.01 Cannot get tooltips

3. AIX and procmail: No valid shell for mailing to programs ?

4. icq and irc

5. ssh tunneling, no valid shell

6. Problems with snmpset on read-write MIB variables

7. valid shells? sendmail 8.6.10

8. SMC 8416-BTA

9. Tunneling over SSH without valid shell

10. any reason for a valid shell for httpd user?

11. /bin/tcsh is not a valid shell

12. Newbie Question: Valid File Descriptor Value, Valid Thread Id

13. No valid root shell...!