Arrow/tcsh problem with Solaris2.7/CDE

Post by R Balthazo » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'd be very grateful for any advice here.

I have one machine running Solaris 2.5 and one running 2.7.  Both use
tcsh Cornell 6.06.00.  Both use the CDE.  There are also several other
terminals and machines on the network.

On any console except the 2.7, logging into any machine /including/ the
2.7 and bringing up a Terminal or Xterm, the arrow keys function as
usual in tcsh/editmode emacs, with up-arrow -> previous command, etc.

On the 2.7 console with CDE, the arrow keys in an Xterm function as
normal. However, the arrow keys on a Terminal window don't work,
although Ctrl-P, etc, still does.  The arrow keys fail to work even if
the Terminal is an rlogin or telnet to the 2.5 machine.

This sounds awfully like the behaviour noted in Dejanews posts when
using Openwin, but as I say I'm using the CDE.

How do I enable the arrow keys?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,
Richard.

1. Solaris2.4/tcsh-6.05/NIS+: `tcsh' with funny terminal output

Environment: Solaris 2.4, tcsh-6.05, passwd distributed via NIS+

Sometimes  `tcsh' hangs printing a funny message after expanding a
user name from the NIS+ passwd table:

    pikas:~> cd ~prasser/
    /-:
        SaV$passwd.org_dir.wv.inf.tu-dresden.de.namprasser

This happens most of the time if the user name had been generated via
the `tcsh' completition facility (e.g. by typing "cd ~pras<TAB><RET>").

I'll append a commented script of a gdb session after my signature.

Is this a known problem?  Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
--

WWW:   http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~mh1/

pikas:~/src/tcsh-6.05> gdb tcsh
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for
details.
GDB 4.13 (sparc-sun-solaris2.4),
Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/hohmuth/src/tcsh-6.05/tcsh
hohmuth has logged on pts/0 from local.
hohmuth has logged on pts/1 from local.
hohmuth has logged on pts/6 from local.
pikas:~/src/tcsh-6.05> cd ~prasser/                  # example explained above
/-:
    SaV$passwd.org_dir.wv.inf.tu-dresden.de.namprasser^\   # here I typed ^\
Program received signal SIGQUIT, Quit.
0xef72aaf4 in _poll ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xef72aaf4 in _poll ()
#1  0xef66b3f8 in haderr ()
#2  0xef67b714 in haderr ()
#3  0xef67b774 in haderr ()
#4  0xef67b7e0 in haderr ()
#5  0xef67b13c in haderr ()
#6  0xef67b06c in haderr ()
#7  0xef6704f4 in haderr ()
#8  0xef66aa58 in haderr ()
#9  0xef68b6fc in haderr ()
#10 0xef682730 in haderr ()
#11 0xef6217c8 in haderr ()
#12 0xef74a4fc in nss_search ()
#13 0xef7605a0 in _getpwnam_r ()
#14 0x4b980 in gethomedir ()
#15 0x4ba74 in gettilde ()
#16 0x1ca74 in gethdir ()
#17 0x275ec in globtilde ()
#18 0x27e0c in globexpand ()
#19 0x28180 in globone ()
#20 0x1db58 in dfollow ()
#21 0x1d994 in dochngd ()
#22 0x241c4 in func ()
#23 0x31f38 in execute ()
#24 0x321bc in execute ()
#25 0x1c55c in process ()
#26 0x1b404 in main ()
(gdb)

2. all processes that list a certain dir hang

3. hpterm arrow keys not working in tcsh

4. Have i been cracked?

5. tcsh: up/down arrow keys

6. Solaris running slow after upgrading to 8

7. binding ctrl-<arrows> in tcsh

8. nroff under OpenServer5

9. tcsh, emacs key bindings, SHIFT-arrow possible?

10. Arrow key assignments in tcsh

11. Arrow keys in tcsh

12. Mandrake 6.5 - tcsh & arrow keys

13. arrows & tcsh line editing