rsh hangs

Post by Andrew Vicker » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:25:16

I want to run a background X-windows process on a remote machine in a secure
environment and have that process display back to a third machine.

rsh is enabled, so I'm using that.

all X servers allow remote connections as well.

Locally, I issue the following command (I am using csh on all machines):

host1%>  rsh {host2} 'setenv DISPLAY {host3}; {command line} &'

For some simple x-applications (xterm, xclock, etc) this works fine and the
rsh returns, but for the application I need, the application launches OK,
but the rsh command does not complete until the remote application is
terminated.

I have tried the following vaiations, with identical results:
host1%>  rsh {host2} 'setenv DISPLAY {host3}; {command line} &'
host1%>  rsh -n {host2} 'setenv DISPLAY {host3}; {command line} &'
host1%>  rsh {host2} '/bin/csh -c "setenv DISPLAY {host3}; {command line}
&"'
host1%>  rsh {host2} '/bin/csh -c "setenv DISPLAY {host3}; exec {command
line}"'
host1%>  rsh {host2} '/bin/csh -c "setenv DISPLAY {host3}; exec {command
line}" &'

The only thing that gets me close to what I want is to put the rsh in the
backtground, but that leaves an unecessary rsh process lying around on my
local box.  Not a problem right now, but it will be when I implement this
script across thousands of boxes.

Any ideas anyone?

rsh hangs

Post by Bill Marcu » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:05:37

>I want to run a background X-windows process on a remote machine in a
secure
>environment and have that process display back to a third machine.

>rsh is enabled, so I'm using that.

>all X servers allow remote connections as well.

>Locally, I issue the following command (I am using csh on all machines):

>host1%>  rsh {host2} 'setenv DISPLAY {host3}; {command line} &'

>For some simple x-applications (xterm, xclock, etc) this works fine and the
>rsh returns, but for the application I need, the application launches OK,
>but the rsh command does not complete until the remote application is
>terminated.

host1%>  rsh {host2} 'setenv DISPLAY {host3}; {command line} >&- 2>&- &'

1. TCP Wrapper / rsh problem (rsh hangs)

I just set up TCP Wrapper 7.1 on a SunOS 4.1.3 server.  We have all of our
client workstations in a netgroup called 'alltrust', and want to allow only
those workstations to rsh the server.  I have tcpd setup correctly (I believe)
in inetd.conf, and the access control files as:

/etc/hosts.allow

/etc/hosts.deny
        in.rshd: ALL: DENY

(I did a kill -HUP on inetd on the server when I changed inetd.conf).  When
I tested the wrapper out, I used a client in alltrust and a client not in
alltrust.  Luckily, the wrapper logs the successes and failures of rsh'ing to
the server correctly.  However, when a client not in alltrust tries to rsh to
the server (i.e. rsh server id), rsh just hangs.  I tried a test with telnet
and everything went fine.  Does anyone have an idea of what might be the
problem?

    A second, but minor, problem is that if I implement /etc/hosts.allow
as

it allows anyone to rsh to the server, even clients not in alltrust.  Any
clue as to what might be causing this?

                                --John

2. *.jsp to jetty, all other requests to apache

3. Please, help! rsh hangs!

4. Cable modem (1-way) using Linux setups

5. occasional rsh hang at start?

6. Netscape 2.01 with Red Hat 2.1 Errors

7. Please, help! rsh hangs

8. Login: No shell: on Root in Kernel 2.2.14

9. Please, help! rsh hangs!

10. rsh hangs after command

11. rsh hangs

12. Rsh hung - check status