backup Solaris2.x problem

Post by power.. » Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with my backup process:

When I first run the command mt -f /dev/rmt/1 status
Archive python 4 mm Helical Scan tape drive:
Sense Key(0x6)=Unit Attention residual=0 retries=0
file number=0 block number=0

When I run the same command immediately again, I get
Archive python 4 mm Helical Scan tape drive:
Sense Key(0x0)=No Additional Sense residual=0 retries=0
file number=0 block number=0

I have a script which kicks off the backup, but it does not seem to be
working, because this is the error I get:

DAT soft error reporting failed

Error for command: read error level: fatal
Requested block: 148  error block: 148
vendor: Archive  serial#:00470225
Sense key: Media Error
ASC: 0x31 (medium format corrupted), ASCQ:0x0, FRU:0x0

-----I get  all this several times over----

Soft error rate(retries=9) during reading was too high
Periodic head cleaning required and/or replace tape cartridge.

I have tried the cleaning tape and still did not get results.
I tried reading  the tape using the "TAPE TOOL" and could read it, but
still got an error.

Please help me I am really in trouble, this problem is not of my
creation either, the previous Sys Admin left with all this and a lot
more.

backup Solaris2.x problem

Post by Icarus Spar » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with my backup process:

>When I first run the command mt -f /dev/rmt/1 status
>Archive python 4 mm Helical Scan tape drive:
>Sense Key(0x6)=Unit Attention residual=0 retries=0
>file number=0 block number=0

>When I run the same command immediately again, I get
>Archive python 4 mm Helical Scan tape drive:
>Sense Key(0x0)=No Additional Sense residual=0 retries=0
>file number=0 block number=0

>I have a script which kicks off the backup, but it does not seem to be
>working, because this is the error I get:

>DAT soft error reporting failed

>Error for command: read error level: fatal
>Requested block: 148  error block: 148
>vendor: Archive  serial#:00470225
>Sense key: Media Error
>ASC: 0x31 (medium format corrupted), ASCQ:0x0, FRU:0x0

>-----I get  all this several times over----

>Soft error rate(retries=9) during reading was too high
>Periodic head cleaning required and/or replace tape cartridge.

>I have tried the cleaning tape and still did not get results.
>I tried reading  the tape using the "TAPE TOOL" and could read it, but
>still got an error.

1) comp.unix.shell is not the right place to ask these questions, it has
nothing to do with the shell.
2) It is normal for a SCSI device to report 'Sense Key(0x6)=Unit
Attention' just after the media in the device has been changed. In fact
it is an error for it not to, so software can monitor this to see when
tapes have been changed.
3) The tape drive is objecting to a bad block on the tape, throw the tape
away and get a new one. This is what is ment by 'replace tape cartridge',
given that you have already tried 'Periodic head cleaning'.

Icarus

1. Help:backup problem in Solaris2.4

[ nbackup.txt < 1K ]

Hi.......

Below is a script file to backup two filesystems using ufsdump.

cd /
for i in usr22/tmp1 \
        usr20/itsadmin
do
/usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cn $i
done
echo " Tape rewinding ..... "
/usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/0c rewind
echo " Backup completed "

The message shows me that two filesystems have been dumpped on
the tape but I can only find out the 1st one (usr22) on the tape.
The 2nd one (/usr20/itsadmin) is missing and can't be dumpped
and extracted.

Does anyone know what's the problem of my script for dumpping
a multi-filesystems??  How to dump a multi-filesystem in one
tape??

Best Regards,
Ringo

2. Installing FreeBSD 4.1.1 via a FTP proxy - problems with fetch

3. Remote Mounting CDROM from one SOLARIS2.4 BOX to other SOLARIS2.4 BOX

4. Help: Connecting Solaris 2.4 and NT Workstation with PPP

5. Solaris2.6 TCP/IP faces Solaris2.5.1.

6. "Server already running" ????

7. Installing sed3.0 and Solaris2.4 vs sed3.0 and Solaris2.5

8. Memory: 2GB

9. How I can mount CD Solaris2.0 Answer Book in Solaris2.5

10. Losing space from Solaris2.4 to Solaris2.5.1?

11. Fun Upgrading Solaris2.1 to Solaris2.3

12. Does anyone have ssh binaries for Solaris2.5.1 or Solaris2.6?

13. DNS search between Solaris2.5.1 and Solaris2.6