Running a shellscript while logged of

Post by G. Heine » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I've got a script file with imageprocessing commands that have to keep
running when I'm logged of. The commands that have to be done take a
long time, so I am planning to run it at night. But the supervisor here
is forcing me to log off of the system when I am not present. Does
anybody know how to do this?

Greetings
G. Heinen
University of Twente

Running a shellscript while logged of

Post by dharz.. » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I've got a script file with imageprocessing commands that have
> to keep running when I'm logged of.

nohup <scriptname> &

Noal
--
"Sure, it's every American's right to post false or misleading
information on the Internet."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Running a shellscript while logged of

Post by hwk.. » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I would just launch a csh, and run your job in it, detached (&).

Even if you log off, your job keeps running.

Either that or use cron (assuming you have permission to do cron jobs).

Quote:> Hello,

Post by Charles Dem » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I've got a script file with imageprocessing commands that have to keep
>running when I'm logged of. The commands that have to be done take a
>long time, so I am planning to run it at night. But the supervisor here
>is forcing me to log off of the system when I am not present. Does
>anybody know how to do this?

run it using cron or at

man cron
man at

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

Post by Kenny McCorma » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>>I would just launch a csh, and run your job in it, detached (&).
>Of course if you're running another shell and launch a csh session and start
>the command, when you exit the primary shell, the csh session dies too.

Yes, the csh dies, but not the processes started from the csh with &.
That's the whole point - it is a low-tech, but effective way to
accomplish the goal, because csh runs & command automatically NOHUP,
while Bourne shell doesn't.

Quote:>As was mentioned more than once: nohup and or cron/at

Only if it is allowed/convenient at the site, and note that cron/at
have lotsa gotchas for the novice.