UNIX SUCKS!!!! (kidding)

Post by trior.. » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I really love UNIX but would like to learn how to=20
write a shell, do any of you have a page or resource
you could tell me of...

-Timothy N. Riordan

=A4 I would rather live right than live well =A4

UNIX SUCKS!!!! (kidding)

Post by luv.. » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I really love UNIX but would like to learn how to=20
> write a shell, do any of you have a page or resource
> you could tell me of...

well, you could start at looking through the source of bash, available
somewhere in ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/.

also, the books by W Richard Stevens (in particular Advanced
Programming in the UNIX environment) and the O'Reily book Using C on
the UNIX System go through the basics.  the source for zsh, ash,
pdksh, and tcsh are also available (along with others I'm sure I've
forgotten).  You can probably find links to info about them in the
UNIX faq, available somewhere in
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/unix/.

best of luck,
andru

UNIX SUCKS!!!! (kidding)

Post by luv.. » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I really love UNIX but would like to learn how to=20
> write a shell, do any of you have a page or resource
> you could tell me of...

yes.  I already responded with several references.  maybe you should
considder *reading* a newsgroup after you post a quostion?

sheesh.

andru

1. X-windows sucks..sucks...sucks!!!!

I am very pissed off.  I like Linux and Unix.  I have been studying the
works of Linux from his earlier versions of linux and it is very good
modification of the minix system.  The author of Minix actual argues
that a microkernel based is more efficient but linux still is more
powerful.  Anyway, with all that said, Linux the Os is Cool.  What is
it missing, a GUI that is worthy something.  And, I have been trying x-
windows and I just quit because I just found out how crappy the system
is and a waste of my time.  I would rather have more fun writing an
alternative and wonder if someone has(I think I will actually).
Because X-windows is just too bothersome.  Does anybody else agree?

Berlin Brown

This guy agrees with me.
http://catalog.com/hopkins/unix-haters/x-windows/disaster.html

--
"...yes darling, computers are people too..."
bama.ua.edu/~brown084

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Apache and Year 2000

3. Kids will be kids!

4. HP600 printer under Linux

5. How to introduce Unix to kids?

6. Sploit PS ?

7. Why Linux sucks and will always suck.

8. Proftp: How to jail users in a directory?

10. Enterprise/FastTrack sucks for UNIX-based ISPs

11. Set-up Question from a new kid

12. My Kids Suprise

13. fester bribes kids to say good things about MICROS~1