User with shell pointing to /dev/null

Post by Prince Gorsti » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:42:01

If a account has its shell path pointing to /dev/null in /etc/passwd
file (suppose /etc/shadow not exists), does it mean that the account
doesn't allow any use of shell (e.g. csh, ksh, etc) ?

User with shell pointing to /dev/null

Post by Bruce Burhan » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:35:35

Quote:> If a account has its shell path pointing to /dev/null in /etc/passwd
> file (suppose /etc/shadow not exists), does it mean that the account
> doesn't allow any use of shell (e.g. csh, ksh, etc) ?

    That sounds right to me,  Prince.  Denying shell use to
accounts is common enough, and that would certainly work, wouldn't it?  A
rather elegant solution....

Bruce<+>

1. /etc/aliases to point user mail to /dev/null

I want to setup a user, let's call him 'joe' so that all
his mail goes to /dev/null.  This is because we have
gnats on a host and we don't want the old administrator joe
to get mail from gnats anymore.  Gnats embeds the name
of the enterer into the TR files and is continuing to mail
him on each bug entry modification that he doesn't need.

I've read about the /etc/aliases file and think
I can do:

joe:
        \/dev/null

and then run "newaliases" as root

Will this do it?  Also, I don't know if that will work
for all permutations of the address or would I have to
explicitly type in each one:

joe:
        \/dev/null

        \/dev/null

        \/dev/null

??

thanks,
Mark

2. Help Please

3. HELP: 2>&1 > /dev/null != 2>&- > /dev/null ???

4. Problems with linuxcentral?

5. cp /dev/null or cat /dev/null

6. Accounting Software

7. rsh machine -n 'command >&/dev/null </dev/null &'

8. PPP on 2.1.115 success

9. 2.4.6: /proc/null - counter for /dev/null traffic

10. C-shell :: redirecting stderr to /dev/null

11. Writing /dev/null to a file (Bourne shell query)

12. /dev/null not writable for users ?

13. non-priv users can't access /dev/null (used to work)