where to get korn shell source code for RH9 linux

where to get korn shell source code for RH9 linux

Post by zuodong zhen » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:44:27

hi,

i am coming from solaris where we always use ksh as default shell and not
use to the bash in the RH linux.  Does anyone know a place that i can
download ksh source so i can compile it in linux?  i tried www.kornshell.com
where they point me to http://www.research.att.com/sw/download/ and the code
is not working for me.  It reqires nmake to make it, which linux does not
have nmake either.  i managed to get the nmake binary from them too but then
it says missing libraries.

please help.

tony

where to get korn shell source code for RH9 linux

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:52:16

in comp.unix.shell i read:

Quote:>Does anyone know a place that i can download ksh source so i can compile
>it in linux?  i tried www.kornshell.com where they point me to
>http://www.research.att.com/sw/download/

that's where you get it.

Quote:>the code is not working for me.  It reqires nmake to make it, which linux
>does not have nmake either.

you must follow the instructions provided.  if you do you will be able to
build your own ksh.

Quote:>i managed to get the nmake binary from them too but then it says missing
>libraries.

which libraries are missing?  did you look for rpm's that would supply
them?

--
a signature

Post by William Par » Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:26:23

> hi,

> i am coming from solaris where we always use ksh as default shell and not
> use to the bash in the RH linux.  Does anyone know a place that i can
> download ksh source so i can compile it in linux?  i tried www.kornshell.com
> where they point me to http://www.research.att.com/sw/download/ and the code
> is not working for me.  It reqires nmake to make it, which linux does not
> have nmake either.  i managed to get the nmake binary from them too but then
> it says missing libraries.

Strange... practically all Linux distro has Ksh.  Certainly, my
Slackware has it.  I found Ksh and Bash are not that different.  Zsh is
another can of worm, however.

where to get korn shell source code for RH9 linux

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:08:01

in comp.unix.shell i read:

>> i am coming from solaris where we always use ksh as default shell and not
>> use to the bash in the RH linux.
>Strange... practically all Linux distro has Ksh.  Certainly, my
>Slackware has it.

lots of times it's actually pdksh, not `real' ksh, and they are not the
same things.

--
a signature

where to get korn shell source code for RH9 linux

Post by F. Michael Or » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:59:17

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 00:08:01 +0000, those who know me have no need of my

> in comp.unix.shell i read:

>>> i am coming from solaris where we always use ksh as default shell and not
>>> use to the bash in the RH linux.

>>Strange... practically all Linux distro has Ksh.  Certainly, my
>>Slackware has it.

> lots of times it's actually pdksh, not `real' ksh, and they are not the
> same things.

Real ksh93 is available as an .rpm.  Go to www.rpmfind.net and search
there.  I installed it w/o problem on my RH9.0 and RH7.3 systems.