1. again: RS6000/220 (AIX 3.2.1) booting from Ultrix4.3 ?
What I need:
Boot a RS6000/220 with 16 MB RAM and a 160 MB HD from a DECsystem 5000/240.
The tape version of our AIX is 3.2.1, the installed version of Ultrix is 4.3.
What I did so far:
I installed an /export partition on the Ultrix machine and managed
the programmes mkspot, mkdclient, lsspot and lsdclient to run successfully (!).
The AIX machine is booting via bootp/tftp and I can see this on its console.
Where the problem is:
Then the red LED says '510', then '511' and very quickly following is
'c21' which means the ifconfig of some weird interface fails to execute.
What I tried to do:
I phoned our hotline here and after a long fight
(I tried to convince the guys that our sales people don't give software
support :) I got the clue to patch the rc.boot file in sbin somewhere.
(added a -b flag to the rpc.lockd ... seems to make no sense since this
option is not available for the lockd ...)
Nothing happened, even patching both rc.boot files with some echo
Finally I deleted all rc.boot files in /export ... still the 'c21'
Our hotline gave up and advised me to buy yet another manual
("Planning your RS6000/220 installation", GG243858), I only just have 2
manuals for DWM at this time that came with the machine ... each is
telling you approx. 49.9 % of the truth and the missing 0.2 % should
be in the above book !?
So early 1993 we're expecting the manual to arrive to solve our problem.
So, what's going on here ?
Does AIX recognize it's booting from Ultrix and then tells me
'this is not allowed, buy AIX workstation' ???
Please, if ANYONE who has done this before (even if you booted your
RS6000 from an ATARI) could give me a clue ?
I'm getting crazy each time someone is mentioning AIX ...
this is not the first problem of this kind that happened to me, you know :(
Thanx a lot
AIX --- $#^%$^$%^ --- Ain't unIX ???
3. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220
5. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220
6. .99.pl14 and quota patch: where is startup_time
7. RS6000/220 and DDRS34560
8. ZDnet "missing" talkback in "The Microsoft penalty that isn't"
9. RS6000/220, AIX 3.21, 160MB HD standalone possible ?
10. I can't install AIX 4.3 on IBM RS6000 machine 220, WHY?
11. Transforming a RS6000/220 into a X-terminal
12. SCSI Bus Errors on RS6000 7011-220
13. gdb-4.6, gcc-2.2.2, and an rs6000/220 woes ...