7137 - 414 problems

Post by jenkinso.. » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

we've a 7137 raid array. worked fine for many years.
took it down and moved to another machine after it was unplugged for a
few days.
on power on the 7137 said 3 disks were not disks it expected.
compared the serial numbers of the disks vs what was in 7137 and
serial numbers were close but two had 8 in place of 6 and one had
3 leading digits on the disk not in the disk serial number in the 7137
flaky and old NVRAM i thought. whilst attempting to do
something/anything to get this box going again (attempt to replace disk
or initialize won't go as the error indicated the box is locked due to
more than one disk being missing) suddenly one of the disk serial
numbers now matched!! let it sit overnight to see if one more would
match  but no joy.
so
anyone know of a way to re-initialize a 7137 in such a state??
------------------
John Jenkinson
BP Exploration (Alaska)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

7137 - 414 problems

Post by Matthew Land » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> we've a 7137 raid array. worked fine for many years.
> took it down and moved to another machine after it was unplugged for a
> few days.
> on power on the 7137 said 3 disks were not disks it expected.
> compared the serial numbers of the disks vs what was in 7137 and
> serial numbers were close but two had 8 in place of 6 and one had
> 3 leading digits on the disk not in the disk serial number in the 7137
> flaky and old NVRAM i thought. whilst attempting to do
> something/anything to get this box going again (attempt to replace disk
> or initialize won't go as the error indicated the box is locked due to
> more than one disk being missing) suddenly one of the disk serial
> numbers now matched!! let it sit overnight to see if one more would
> match  but no joy.
> so
> anyone know of a way to re-initialize a 7137 in such a state??
> ------------------
> John Jenkinson
> BP Exploration (Alaska)

There was an IBM way to fix one of these via calling the CE.  They bring
out the "Genesis Kit", which basically connects the "telephone" port on
the 7137 to a modem so support can dial  in and reconfigure the box.  You
probably want to call a CE.  I had used one of the Genesis systems on our
test 7137 before and it isn't pretty (very understandable why an CE does
it...  not like moving disk drives.)

When more than one disk failed that was the only solution I was able to
find.

7137 - 414 problems

Post by jenkinso.. » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > we've a 7137 raid array. worked fine for many years.
> > took it down and moved to another machine after it was unplugged
for a
> > few days.
> > on power on the 7137 said 3 disks were not disks it expected.
<SNIP>
> > so
> > anyone know of a way to re-initialize a 7137 in such a state??
> > ------------------
> > John Jenkinson
> > BP Exploration (Alaska)

> There was an IBM way to fix one of these via calling the CE.  They
bring
> out the "Genesis Kit", which basically connects the "telephone" port
on
> the 7137 to a modem so support can dial  in and reconfigure the box.
You
> probably want to call a CE.  I had used one of the Genesis systems on
our
> test 7137 before and it isn't pretty (very understandable why an CE
does
> it...  not like moving disk drives.)

> When more than one disk failed that was the only solution I was able
> find.

we're self-maintenance, have no maintenance $$, thus can't call a CE
don't want to pay a min 4 hr call, etc.
was hoping to find the magic incantation to simply reset or reinitialize
the box.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/