Does anybody know some good books about AIX 4.x

Does anybody know some good books about AIX 4.x

Post by Lars Wittebroo » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:19:18



Hi,

does anybody know some good books abount AIX 4.x concepts and
administration?

MTIA.

Lars Wittebrood.

 
 
 

Does anybody know some good books about AIX 4.x

Post by Pedro A. Migue » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:33:26


 do you search in IBMs RedBooks?



Quote:> Hi,

> does anybody know some good books abount AIX 4.x concepts and
> administration?

> MTIA.

> Lars Wittebrood.


 
 
 

Does anybody know some good books about AIX 4.x

Post by RayG » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:42:08


AIX Verrsion 4 System and Administration Guide
James DeRoest
isbn 0-07-036688-8


Quote:> Hi,

> does anybody know some good books abount AIX 4.x concepts and
> administration?

> MTIA.

> Lars Wittebrood.

 
 
 

Does anybody know some good books about AIX 4.x

Post by Ellerman, Scott [RICH2:2I38:EXCH » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:23:02


Hmm...That book is OK, but you'll probably outgrow it quickly.  There's
only one general-purpose AIX book I still keep on my desk after 3 solid
years of AIX work including 20 months on IBM's AIX Support Line:

The AIX Survival Guide
Andreas Siegert
Addison-Wesley, 1996
ISBN 0-201-59388-2

It's a very practical book, full of interesting tidbits - probably not
the ideal book for UNIX newbies, and it doesn't cover all the gee-whiz
in AIX 4.3, but it's a solid book that has the answers I'm looking for
about 75% of the time.  That's superb considering all the weird stuff I
look for in there.

Of course, there are always IBM's redbooks, "AIX 4.3 System
Administration Study Guide" and "AIX 4.3 System Support Study Guide"
(more or less the same book, really, except Admin covers things like
configuring sendmail whereas Support covers things like reading crash
LEDs).  These also have the incredible advantage of being free at
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/ as Acrobat PDF files - search for "Study
Guide".  I'm also a big fan of the "AIX 4.3 Differences Guide,"
available at the same site - especially in conjunction with the Siegert
book above.  This book covers both the bells and the whistles and is
very up-to-date.

--
Scott Ellerman
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert - RS/6000 AIX
The opinions expressed herein are solely my own and not those of Nortel
Networks or IBM.


> AIX Verrsion 4 System and Administration Guide
> James DeRoest
> isbn 0-07-036688-8



> > does anybody know some good books abount AIX 4.x concepts and
> > administration?

 
 
 

Does anybody know some good books about AIX 4.x

Post by Norman Levi » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 03:38:30



> Hmm...That book is OK, but you'll probably outgrow it quickly.  There's
> only one general-purpose AIX book I still keep on my desk after 3 solid
> years of AIX work including 20 months on IBM's AIX Support Line:

> The AIX Survival Guide
> Andreas Siegert
> Addison-Wesley, 1996
> ISBN 0-201-59388-2

> It's a very practical book, full of interesting tidbits - probably not
> the ideal book for UNIX newbies, and it doesn't cover all the gee-whiz
> in AIX 4.3, but it's a solid book that has the answers I'm looking for
> about 75% of the time.  That's superb considering all the weird stuff I
> look for in there.

> Of course, there are always IBM's redbooks, "AIX 4.3 System
> Administration Study Guide" and "AIX 4.3 System Support Study Guide"
> (more or less the same book, really, except Admin covers things like
> configuring sendmail whereas Support covers things like reading crash
> LEDs).  These also have the incredible advantage of being free at
> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/ as Acrobat PDF files - search for "Study
> Guide".  I'm also a big fan of the "AIX 4.3 Differences Guide,"
> available at the same site - especially in conjunction with the Siegert
> book above.  This book covers both the bells and the whistles and is
> very up-to-date.

** Scott's advice is excellent.  Let's put it this way, I would have written
the exact same thing, but Scott beat me to it.  Get The AIX Survival Guide and
check the redbooks.

- Show quoted text -

> --
> Scott Ellerman
> IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert - RS/6000 AIX
> The opinions expressed herein are solely my own and not those of Nortel
> Networks or IBM.


> > AIX Verrsion 4 System and Administration Guide
> > James DeRoest
> > isbn 0-07-036688-8



> > > does anybody know some good books abount AIX 4.x concepts and
> > > administration?

--
Norman Levin
 
 
 

1. help! anybody know of good scripting book?

Hi,

I work with a batch scheduling software package that runs on SunOS 4.1.1
over a network. I need to figure out
how to write a script that will tell me how many jobs are running on a
particular cpu at any given time, and for
how long they are running. I am not a programmer type or have much time to
do this, so I guess I'm going to do
it on my off hours. Does anybody know how I could go about writing this or
know of a good scripting book that
has good examples, instead of just commands? Any help is much appreciated.

2. SHAREWARE - Unix utility shell scripts

3. Does anybody know a good book about programming for Linux?

4. FAST SORT FOR LARGE FILES???

5. Is there anybody knowing a good "pen" as substitute for the mouse?

6. tar -N won't work over nfs

7. Anybody knows of a good newsreader?

8. atomic test and set instruction / Spinlock implementation....

9. My E310 drive failed, anybody know a good repair depot?

10. Anybody know a good GUI newsreader for X??

11. Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with sendmail?

12. Anybody know of a good 802.3x Ethernet simulator?

13. anybody know good 2 channel sound card supported by alsa?