dbx (and FORTRAN?)

Post by Laurie Tuck » Wed, 03 Jun 1992 23:36:09

We have an RS/6000 320 running AIX 3.1.6.

My primary user is trying to use dbx (version 3.1) to debug a very,
very large FORTRAN program, and is having problems.  Here is a brief
description of the problem:

The de* reports that all the variables in one given common block
are set to either -NaNQ (for most reals), -1 (for integers), .TRUE.
(for logicals), or "reference through nil pointer" (for at least one
real).  Any computations using any of these variables also result in
these same default (?) values.

The program *is* running correctly, but the de* seems to have
problems tracking variables.

Any ideas about what might be going on?

Any recommendations for another de*?!??

   - laurie

--

<< "It is easy to persuade [people] about some particular matter, but it   >>
<< is hard to hold them to that persuasion."  -- Niccolo Machiavelli, 1513 >>

dbx (and FORTRAN?)

Post by Laurie Tuck » Wed, 03 Jun 1992 23:47:40

p.s.  Are there any versions of gdb that will work with 3.1.6?

--

Post by Tom McConne » Thu, 04 Jun 1992 00:27:54

> p.s.  Are there any versions of gdb that will work with 3.1.6?

> --

> << "It is easy to persuade [people] about some particular matter, but it   >>
> << is hard to hold them to that persuasion."  -- Niccolo Machiavelli, 1513 >>

  gdb-4.5 works with AIX 3.1.6.

    Cheers,

    Tom McConnell

--

 Intel, Corp. C3-21     |     Phone: (602)-554-8229
 5000 W. Chandler Blvd. | The opinions expressed are my own. No one in

1. xde/dbx print of FORTRAN labelled common variables

I may be missing something, but it doesn't seem possible for a mere mortal
to have dbx display the value of a FORTRAN variable in a labelled common
block and initialized via a block data procedure.

Even using the fully qualified name as reported by the dbx which subcommand
simply results in a value of -1 or the message 'nil pointer' depending on
the phase of the moon.  Sometimes dbx gets a segment fault and the next time
around tries to dbx himself!

Anybody know how to do this, as I refuse the use print statements (-:?

Thanks,

2. Ghostscript Problem /invalidfont in findfont

3. dbx problems with fortran common vars

4. need help playing audio cd's with SBPCD

5. dbx -a pid problem with mixed Fortran and C

6. Set Clock Interrupt to 1msec

7. printing FORTRAN common variables in dbx(1)

8. tcp communication latency

9. No output from AIX 'xlf' fortran program unless running from dbx

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. dbx: Can dbx read core files from different machines?

12. How to create DBX and non-DBX libraries?

13. Fortran and C Compiler for Linux (Ex Apollo Domain Fortran)