passwd+ and/or npasswd on AIX

Post by Bill Dix » Sat, 13 Mar 1993 01:23:46

Has anyone out there gotten passwd+ or npasswd working for AIX on the IBM
RS/6000?

I have been able to get both cops and crack working, but would like to use
one of the passwd replacement programs to help the users pick good
passwords in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated, through e-mail or posting.

Thanks.
--
Bill Dixon

passwd+ and/or npasswd on AIX

Post by Rich Holla » Sat, 20 Mar 1993 01:19:13

>Has anyone out there gotten passwd+ or npasswd working for AIX on the IBM
>RS/6000?

You seem to be having troubles compiling stuff straight off the net.  Have
you got gcc?  It's a pretty decent compiler, really.  Also, you might try
defining bsdcc in addition to the standard cc on your RS6k.  Here's a bit of
my /etc/xlc.cfg file showing the proper definitions:

* standard c compiler aliased as cc
cc:     use        = DEFLT
        crt        = /lib/crt0.o
        mcrt       = /lib/mcrt0.o
        gcrt       = /lib/gcrt0.o
        libraries  = -lc
        proflibs   = -L/lib/profiled,-L/usr/lib/profiled
        options    = -H512,-T512,-qlanglvl=extended,-qnoro

* standard  BSD c compiler aliased as bsdcc
bsdcc:  use        = DEFLT
        crt        = /lib/crt0.o
        mcrt       = /lib/mcrt0.o
        gcrt       = /lib/gcrt0.o
        libraries  = -lbsd, -lc
        proflibs   = -L/lib/profiled,-L/usr/lib/profiled
        options    = -H512,-T512,-qlanglvl=extended, -qnoro, -D_BSD, -D_NONSTD_T
YPES, -D_NO_PROTO, -bnodelcsect, -U__STR__, -U__MATH__

--

100 Jardine Terrace, A-7, Manhattan, KS  66502-3357
(913) 776-5789

passwd+ and/or npasswd on AIX

Post by Bill Dix » Sun, 21 Mar 1993 03:03:30

>>Has anyone out there gotten passwd+ or npasswd working for AIX on the IBM
>>RS/6000?

>You seem to be having troubles compiling stuff straight off the net.  Have
>you got gcc?  It's a pretty decent compiler, really.  Also, you might try
>defining bsdcc in addition to the standard cc on your RS6k.  Here's a bit of
>my /etc/xlc.cfg file showing the proper definitions:

> [/etc/xlc.cfg portion deleted since it matches mine]

I was able to get them compiled, they just did not seem to handle the
shadow password file properly.  It has been a while since I tried (the
talk about cops and crack made me bring it back up), but as I recall, one
of them (I think it was passwd+) stored the password in /etc/passwd
instead of /etc/security/passwd, but I don't remember what the other one
did.
--
Bill Dixon

1. npasswd, passwd+ etc

I'm looking for a version of npasswd, passwd+ or an equivalent utility that
will work on Solaris, using shadow password files.  Is there one around, or do
I need to hack the source code myself?

Meg Denham
UNIX systems administration
CCD, Dept of Premier and Cabinet
Tasmania, Australia

2. Iomega Ditto drive Configuration

3. npasswd, Ultrix and passwd locking -- bug and fix

4. Help: NIC? Anyone know what driver to use for Winbond W89C905F

5. npasswd or passwd+ ??

6. Problems with lilo install

7. npasswd & shadow passwd

8. fdisk - extend partition

9. Password checker like npasswd or passwd+ for Solaris

10. npasswd and passwd+ on Irix 5.3

11. newest passwd+ or npasswd

12. AIX passwd-> Solaris passwd

13. npasswd for AIX ??