ORACLE and IBM RS/6000 AIX version 3.2

Post by Steve Ca » Fri, 17 Jul 1992 10:31:22

Folks,

1.  Sorry to ask questions which may have been asked a dozen
times already.  If they are already answered, please point me to
an appropriate FAQ.

2.  We are new bees to the IBM RS/6000 AIX and ORACLE game.  We
have recently taken delivery of several IBM RS/6000 Model 530H
machines around the country with AIX version 3.1.5 implemented.
We also have installed ORACLE version 6.0.31.0.1 for AIX, as well
as ORACLE SQLFORMS & TOOLS version 3.0.16.32.

3.  Like many Department of Defense activities, we have a systems
integrator providing all of the hardware and systems software for
us.  Thus we don't always deal directly with IBM or ORACLE.

4.  When we first received the IBM RS/6000 Model 530H hardware, I
was upset because the machines were delivered with AIX version
3.1.5.  I had been following "comp.unix.aix" so I was well aware
of the fact that AIX Version 3.2 was being shipped several weeks
before our order for hardware was processed.  I complained quite
loudly to the systems integrator and also to our IBM point of
contact.  IBM was pretty responsive, at least to me, and bypassed
the systems integrator and delivered to me a copy of AIX version
3.2 for a machine in my office.  However, liaison with our
different field activities around the country indicated that as
of two weeks ago, they still had not yet received AIX version
3.2.

5.  I again pressed the question with the systems integrator as
to why they had not yet installed AIX version 3.2 in our 530Hs.
Their response was that ORACLE for IBM RS/6000 AIX does not
function with AIX version 3.2, and that it only functions with
AIX version 3.1.5.  They claim to be aggressively working the
problem with ORACLE Corporation.

6.  We are also employing the Texas Instruments Information
Engineering Facility (TI IEF) Integrated - Computer Aided
Software Engineering (I-CASE) tool, and are very anxious to move
up to TI IEF release 5.0 for IBM RS/6000 AIX immediately.  TI IEF
Release 5.0 works in conjunction with ORACLE and expects AIX
version 3.2 to be loaded.  So we have a critical path software
engineering problem which dictates we move to AIX version 3.2
soonest.  We want to move to AIX version 3.2 as quickly as
possible anyway, if for no other reason than to fix the context
switch problems associated with AIX version 3.1.5 and to keep
current with IBM's latest.

7.  My questions to the universe are as follows.
    a.  Has anybody else found that AIX version 3.2 is
incompatible with ORACLE version 6.0.31.0.1 for AIX, as well as
ORACLE SQLFORMS & TOOLS version 3.0.16.32 for AIX?
    b.  Are we working with the latest release of ORACLE,
SQLFORMS & TOOLS for IBM RS/6000 AIX?
    c.  Has a separate ORACLE newsgroup been established on the
internet?  Several months ago, a successful vote was tallied in
"comp.databases" for formation of an ORACLE newsgroup, but I
never saw formal announcement that it had commenced.
    d.  When is ORACLE version 7.0 for IBM RS/6000 AIX due to be
shipped?

8.  Any help or advice you could render would be greatly
appreciated.  Please direct your responses to

Very Respectfully,
CDR Stephen M. Carr, SC, USN
Naval Air Systems Command (AIR-4114A)
Washington, DC 20361-4110

703-692-5661, 703-692-5690, 703-746-0696, 703-746-0842
FAX 703-692-8587

ORACLE and IBM RS/6000 AIX version 3.2

Post by Alan Be » Fri, 17 Jul 1992 16:39:39

Quote:>7.  My questions to the universe are as follows.
>    a.  Has anybody else found that AIX version 3.2 is
>incompatible with ORACLE version 6.0.31.0.1 for AIX, as well as
>ORACLE SQLFORMS & TOOLS version 3.0.16.32 for AIX?

I have Oracle 6.0.31.0.1 running on AIX 3.2 and haven't had any problems.

Quote:>    c.  Has a separate ORACLE newsgroup been established on the
>internet?  Several months ago, a successful vote was tallied in
>"comp.databases" for formation of an ORACLE newsgroup, but I
>never saw formal announcement that it had commenced.

comp.databases.oracle

Quote:>    d.  When is ORACLE version 7.0 for IBM RS/6000 AIX due to be
>shipped?

I don't think it has been announced since 7.0 is in beta test, but
it is likely to be shipped by the end of the year.

Post by Hari Seld » Thu, 23 Jul 1992 06:55:31

>>7.  My questions to the universe are as follows.
>>    a.  Has anybody else found that AIX version 3.2 is
>>incompatible with ORACLE version 6.0.31.0.1 for AIX, as well as
>>ORACLE SQLFORMS & TOOLS version 3.0.16.32 for AIX?
>I have Oracle 6.0.31.0.1 running on AIX 3.2 and haven't had any problems.

and i have oracle 6.0.34.2.1 running on AIX 3.2 and haven't had any
problems .... yet :-)
also sqlplus 3.0.8.1.5, and currently sqlforms 2.3.31.1.5 although this
will change rsn.

Quote:>>    c.  Has a separate ORACLE newsgroup been established on the
>>internet?  Several months ago, a successful vote was tallied in
>>"comp.databases" for formation of an ORACLE newsgroup, but I
>>never saw formal announcement that it had commenced.
>comp.databases.oracle

yep.

Quote:>>    d.  When is ORACLE version 7.0 for IBM RS/6000 AIX due to be
>>shipped?
>I don't think it has been announced since 7.0 is in beta test, but
>it is likely to be shipped by the end of the year.

seems like a likely time.

bill pociengel
--

1. emacs, rmail, IBM RS/6000, and Aix 3.2

Hi,

We've got a problem getting emacs to read mail with rmail.  The version
of emacs we have on our system is 18.57.3  The system here is the
IBM RS/6000 running on Aix 3.2

I've been corresponding with the sys admin trying to get the the system
to allow the rmail command in emacs read incoming mail.  Whenever I try
to execute rmail in emacs I get the message, "Permission denied: renaming
/usr/spool/mail/ryanr, /usr/spool/mail/ryanr~"  It's been suggested to me
that this might have something to do with emacs running on Aix.  Does anyone
have any ideas of what the problem might be?  Has anyone seen any pertinent
FAQ's in the newsgroups I can look up?

Thanks,
Richard.
..

2. Need Advice: One subnet to use two *different* ISP links...

3. Need BASIC interpreter for IBM RS/6000 AIX ver 3.2

4. NEW: Linux Chat

5. Netfax on RS/6000 (AIX 3.2): any experience?

6. Sysadmin Staffing Model

7. mmap() with shared access fails over NFS using AIX 3.2 on RS 6000

8. gcc for rs6000

9. Xwindows on RS/6000 AIX 3.2

10. NIS fallback to DNS on RS/6000 AIX 3.2.x; can it be done?

11. Metafont C v2.7 problem on rs/6000 + AIX 3.2??

12. AIX 3.2 on new RS/6000 Hardware question

13. NIS fallback to DNS on RS/6000 AIX 3.2.x; can it be done?