postscript & ascii printer setup

Post by Martin Oliver » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up a LaserJet 5M on a 6000 running
aix4.2. I used "smit" to set up the printer, and it
works ok for postscript files. However, when trying
to print ascii files the printer does not add a <cr>
at the end of each line. In other Unix's I added the
command ":rp=text:" in the printcap file to be able
to print regular ascii files. I could not find anything
similar that I can use under "smit" for the qconfig file.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

postscript & ascii printer setup

Post by LAIX Software Consultin » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

A lot depends on how the print queue was added and how the printer is
attached to the machine.  For example, in /etc/qconfig - what is the
backend program invoked when a job is sent to the queue.  If the printer
is local, it's probably "piobe".  If the queue was setup as "remote" it
may be rembak, or piorlfb.  Or, if you used HP Jetdirect software, it's
piohpnpf - which calls piobe.  To make a long story short, all but
"rembak" invoke a virtual printer to format the print job, which by
default sends the printer ESC &k2G - which is a PCL command telling the
printer to add CR to LF.  If you setup the queue as ASCII instead of
PCL, the virtual printer may add CR to LF manually.  So, for starters -
how is the printer attached, and what backend program was used for how
you defined the print queue?

Best regards,
Paul