aix vs sco

Post by Gerard MacNei » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:16:20

We are replacing an risc 6000 f50 , aix 4.3.3.
the proposed replacement is an ibm xseries, intel processors and sco unix.

What are the major differences in aix vs sco?
Is there a doc of some kind that addresses the diffderences?

any comments would be appreciated

gerard

aix vs sco

Post by John R. Campbe » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 04:24:26

> We are replacing an risc 6000 f50 , aix 4.3.3.
> the proposed replacement is an ibm xseries, intel processors and sco unix.

        While some of the xSeries boxes are pretty competent, I'm not
        sure that SCO is a good OS for 'em.  SCO is pretty wimpy vs.
        AIX (though my answer is a bit naive given how may years ago
        it's been since I've done any SCO).

        In some ways Linux may be the better OS choice but then it comes
        down to which distribution...

Quote:> What are the major differences in aix vs sco?

        I've been off of SCO too long.  Perhaps someone in a SCO group
        can help you?

        Bailing out of AIX (and an F50!  If you don't want it I'll come
        take it away for you...) may not be the best option-  though if
        the application you need requires SCO on an Intel platform then
        I guess that'd certainly be a decision driver.

        Even a 166MHz F50 is pretty potent (IMHO).

--

 - As a SysAdmin, yes, I CAN read your e-mail, but I DON'T get that bored!
 "It is impossible for ANY man to learn about impotence the hard way."  - me

aix vs sco

Post by El To » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:23:02

Quote:> > We are replacing an risc 6000 f50 , aix 4.3.3.
> > the proposed replacement is an ibm xseries, intel processors and sco unix.

>    While some of the xSeries boxes are pretty competent, I'm not
>    sure that SCO is a good OS for 'em.  SCO is pretty wimpy vs.
>    AIX (though my answer is a bit naive given how may years ago
>    it's been since I've done any SCO).

>    In some ways Linux may be the better OS choice but then it comes
>    down to which distribution...

Guys, let's be open-minded on this list.  I expect these kinds of responses
from half the members at comp.unix.solaris that worship the Sun-god: "Oh no!
Don't use AIX.  Stick to Solaris 8 or 9.  That darn AIX 3.2.5 and 4.1.2 just
sucked when I worked at company XYZ."

If you haven't used it in a while, then you probably can't give an educated
response to a guy who *seems* to be genuinely interested in informed answers.

Stating that "Linux" may be a better choice than SCO further shows the lack
of useful information in your suggestion, as SCO and Linux are not mutually
exclusive.  SCO provides UnixWare 7.1, 2.1, Openserver 5, and Linux. Come
on, guys.  I just don't expect this from comp.unix.aix.

Quote:> > What are the major differences in aix vs sco?

>    I've been off of SCO too long.  Perhaps someone in a SCO group
>    can help you?

>    Bailing out of AIX (and an F50!  If you don't want it I'll come
>    take it away for you...) may not be the best option-  though if
>    the application you need requires SCO on an Intel platform then
>    I guess that'd certainly be a decision driver.

>    Even a 166MHz F50 is pretty potent (IMHO).

First of all, qualify your statements.  Are you asking for the differences
between AIX 5.x vs. UnixWare 7.1, or vs. Openserver 5.x, or vs. SCO Linux?

UnixWare 7.x definitely rocks, and has plenty of native features that will
allow you to keep costs low (i.e., not needing to purchase from 3rd party
apps for coomon things like volume management).  On the high-end, they
really shine.  They have very good clustering.

You may have to do some extra research on their Linux offering.  I've yet
to use it, but it's all based on that new UnitedLinux front (set to take
down the RedHat giant, I suppose).

Then, too, AIX rocks, too.  In the RAS matchups, it has beaten UnixWare
in independent consultant studies.  The OS currently scales more on the
I/O and RAM front, but that may not be a factor in your circumstance.  If
TCO is what you're after, know that IBM has cut costs on a lot of their
midrange and high-end pSeries servers -- so take a close look at what
you will actually gain in making a switch from a product in which you
already have an investment and relationship.

Hope this helps a bit.

aix vs sco

Post by Mark » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 07:56:20

Not 100% sure if it is still but OpenServer was the no1 Intel Unix. It
makes a fortune too. I have many years experience of it and can honestly
say DONT BOTHER!
Unixware on the other hand is a great option for performance/
scalability on Intel for a relativly low price. It perfoms extreamly
well and has proved very stable for me. With all that, it's not AIX on a
pSeries/RS6000.
I'm guessing price is an issue?
Sco Linux (before United LInux) wasn't much good. Redhat is much better
suited.

On a good point, it's December which means that all companyies including
IBM will sell u anything at amazing discounts just to get nearer their
sales targets for the year. I Just bought a Pseries 6F1 with
2processors, SSA disks, cache card, serial raid adapter,ultrium etc etc
for almost nothing compared to what it's worth. Now is bartering time!

>>>We are replacing an risc 6000 f50 , aix 4.3.3.
>>>the proposed replacement is an ibm xseries, intel processors and sco unix.

>>        While some of the xSeries boxes are pretty competent, I'm not
>>        sure that SCO is a good OS for 'em.  SCO is pretty wimpy vs.
>>        AIX (though my answer is a bit naive given how may years ago
>>        it's been since I've done any SCO).

>>        In some ways Linux may be the better OS choice but then it comes
>>        down to which distribution...

> Guys, let's be open-minded on this list.  I expect these kinds of responses
> from half the members at comp.unix.solaris that worship the Sun-god: "Oh no!
> Don't use AIX.  Stick to Solaris 8 or 9.  That darn AIX 3.2.5 and 4.1.2 just
> sucked when I worked at company XYZ."

> If you haven't used it in a while, then you probably can't give an educated
> response to a guy who *seems* to be genuinely interested in informed answers.

> Stating that "Linux" may be a better choice than SCO further shows the lack
> of useful information in your suggestion, as SCO and Linux are not mutually
> exclusive.  SCO provides UnixWare 7.1, 2.1, Openserver 5, and Linux. Come
> on, guys.  I just don't expect this from comp.unix.aix.

>>>What are the major differences in aix vs sco?

>>        I've been off of SCO too long.  Perhaps someone in a SCO group
>>        can help you?

>>        Bailing out of AIX (and an F50!  If you don't want it I'll come
>>        take it away for you...) may not be the best option-  though if
>>        the application you need requires SCO on an Intel platform then
>>        I guess that'd certainly be a decision driver.

>>        Even a 166MHz F50 is pretty potent (IMHO).

> First of all, qualify your statements.  Are you asking for the differences
> between AIX 5.x vs. UnixWare 7.1, or vs. Openserver 5.x, or vs. SCO Linux?

> UnixWare 7.x definitely rocks, and has plenty of native features that will
> allow you to keep costs low (i.e., not needing to purchase from 3rd party
> apps for coomon things like volume management).  On the high-end, they
> really shine.  They have very good clustering.

> You may have to do some extra research on their Linux offering.  I've yet
> to use it, but it's all based on that new UnitedLinux front (set to take
> down the RedHat giant, I suppose).

> Then, too, AIX rocks, too.  In the RAS matchups, it has beaten UnixWare
> in independent consultant studies.  The OS currently scales more on the
> I/O and RAM front, but that may not be a factor in your circumstance.  If
> TCO is what you're after, know that IBM has cut costs on a lot of their
> midrange and high-end pSeries servers -- so take a close look at what
> you will actually gain in making a switch from a product in which you
> already have an investment and relationship.

> Hope this helps a bit.

1. AIX vs SCO

Has anyone out there seen a a list of pros and cons for AIX and SCO UNIX?

Has SCO implemented the Logical Volume Manager or do you still have to
do a backup and restore to enlarge a disk partition?

--
Regards,
Jerry M.

2. question: xdm chooser on laptop

3. It isn't about SCO vs IBM, it is about SCO vs Linux

4. XFree86 config for Dell 17TX, S3 Trio64V+?

5. BENCHMARKS - SCO vs Solaris vs Unixware vs etc...

6. Korne Shell help needed!

7. Opinions Wanted: Solaris 2.4 vs. AIX vs. HP/UX vs AT&T Sys5v4

8. Proxy/Site Blocking?

9. Opinions wanted about SCO-unix (vs AIX/Linux).

10. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

11. SCO MPX/486 vs AIX/RS6000

12. Vision FS (was: Window NT vs x86 solaris vs SCO?)