Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)

Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)

Post by Mike Mcke » Fri, 04 May 2001 07:16:02

This is my dillemna. I installed AIX 4.3.2 on a RS6000 43P-140  166Mz Type
7043-140

I answered what I believed to be the correct Questions regarding Networking

I said I wanted to do it manually, so I answered the following:

Host: <Valid TCPIP Address>
Netmasks <255,255,255,0>
Named Server IP <Valid TCPIP Address for our name server>

When it finally finished, it tried to log in to CDE, but it took about 20
minutes!!

When I did a cold start, it would take longer. It seemed to take quite a
while on rpc.lockd

When I am finally in, Invoking the Application Manager takes 15 minutes
Applying a change I make in the APplication manager takes another 15 minutes

Oh by the way, while I do have network connectivity, I cant ping to named
addresses. I presume it might be network related.

my resolv.conf looks fine.
It has my domain followed by nameserver xx.xxx.xxx.xx

Any clues?

Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)

Post by bo » Fri, 04 May 2001 15:36:26

Yes, 4.3.2... Dont remind me.

Ok, two things to watch for...

1) Buggy DNS server
2) Buggy telnetd

fixes

1) Upgrade BIND (or if you are using a NT box as a DNS server, replace
it)
2) Remove the -a parameter from the telnetd in /etc/inetd.conf

Your problem is dns related

brett

Quote:> This is my dillemna. I installed AIX 4.3.2 on a RS6000 43P-140  166Mz Type
> 7043-140

> I answered what I believed to be the correct Questions regarding Networking

> I said I wanted to do it manually, so I answered the following:

> Host: <Valid TCPIP Address>
> Netmasks <255,255,255,0>
> Named Server IP <Valid TCPIP Address for our name server>

> When it finally finished, it tried to log in to CDE, but it took about 20
> minutes!!

> When I did a cold start, it would take longer. It seemed to take quite a
> while on rpc.lockd

> When I am finally in, Invoking the Application Manager takes 15 minutes
> Applying a change I make in the APplication manager takes another 15 minutes

> Oh by the way, while I do have network connectivity, I cant ping to named
> addresses. I presume it might be network related.

> my resolv.conf looks fine.
> It has my domain followed by nameserver xx.xxx.xxx.xx

> Any clues?

1. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow

err, this may, or may not be off topic.  i am using:

tin pre-1.4 release 19990927 ("Nine While Nine")
[UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-99 Eain Lea.

usenet.xxx.edu InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.7.2 08-Dec-1997
ready (posting ok).

and, yes, i do attend "xxx" univeristy. i never miss a class!

i'm just a lowly user :)  anyhow, when it reads a newsgroup, it has a
status type thing where it says 145674/4564324 like that.  it seems to
get a _huge_ portion right off the bat, then it slows to increments of
fifty.  i _could_ install tin on my linux laptop, but space is ver
limited.  and, what would be the point? i still need a connection to the
net. as a user, i use the version on my schools sun computers.  can
i get tin to work faster at bringing up a newsgroup?

otherwise, tin is neato :)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. (no subject)

3. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

4. /dev/dsp not found

5. Help - slow,slow, slip,slip, slow

6. Bill Gates FOD's

7. Matrox g450 + tuxracer = slow slow slow!!! [???]

8. help:where can find LINUX-CD?

9. SCO 5.0.2 NSF is slow - VERY slow What am I doing wrong??

10. rcmd fast, slow, slow, slow, fast, slow, slow. Again!!

11. HELP: Slow NFS client to server causing Very slow NFS install

12. slow, slow 7.3

13. Slow, slow telnet & FTP?