AIX - Win95 PPP

Post by Richard Gulledg » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

What is the key to getting Win95 clients to make PPP connections to AIX
4.1.4?  I have tried many configurations on both ends to no avail.  My
Win95 system calls AIX and hangs on "Verifing user name and password".
The PPP login and password are ok, they work from an attached ascii
terminal, albeit with garbage after login.  I have the AIX modem port
set to share, and it works fine when using non-PPP logins.  The PPP
login has "exec /usr/sbin/pppattachd server 2>/dev/null" as the last
line of $HOME/.profile.  The pppcontrold subsystem is running.  Do I
need a PTF, 4.1.5, 4.2, a patch to Win95, or maybe a brain transplant?
I have read the the man pages for PPP.  I was unable to find anything on
PPP configuration from IBM-4FAX, or on the tech support web page.  I do
not have an IBM support contract, so that is not an option.  Any help
appreciated, even RTFM if you name the manual.

Thanks,
Richard Gulledge

AIX - Win95 PPP

Post by Mark Balcom » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Richard,

You must be on 4.1.5 (there are problems with 4.1.4).

You also need a DUN script file. I have attached ours to this message.

If you have any problems let me know.

Good Luck,

Mark Balcombe

>What is the key to getting Win95 clients to make PPP connections to AIX
>4.1.4?  I have tried many configurations on both ends to no avail.  My
>Win95 system calls AIX and hangs on "Verifing user name and password".
>The PPP login and password are ok, they work from an attached ascii
>terminal, albeit with garbage after login.  I have the AIX modem port
>set to share, and it works fine when using non-PPP logins.  The PPP
>login has "exec /usr/sbin/pppattachd server 2>/dev/null" as the last
>line of $HOME/.profile.  The pppcontrold subsystem is running.  Do I
>need a PTF, 4.1.5, 4.2, a patch to Win95, or maybe a brain transplant?
>I have read the the man pages for PPP.  I was unable to find anything on
>PPP configuration from IBM-4FAX, or on the tech support web page.  I do
>not have an IBM support contract, so that is not an option.  Any help
>appreciated, even RTFM if you name the manual.

>Thanks,
>Richard Gulledge

AIX - Win95 PPP

Post by Mark Balcom » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

begin 644 brokasur.scp
<uuencoded_portion_removed>

`
end

AIX - Win95 PPP

Post by Steven A. Ba » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

First, you expect IBM documentaiton to include specifics
for every client that could connect in.  This is unrealistic
given the number of PPP implementaitons available...

Connecting from Win 95 is easy,  we've had several customers
who are using Win 95 clients.   check your dialog,  I don't
have a Win95 box available right now, but the dialog scripts
to connect are quite simple...

> What is the key to getting Win95 clients to make PPP connections to AIX
> 4.1.4?  I have tried many configurations on both ends to no avail.  My
> Win95 system calls AIX and hangs on "Verifing user name and password".
> The PPP login and password are ok, they work from an attached ascii
> terminal, albeit with garbage after login.  I have the AIX modem port
> set to share, and it works fine when using non-PPP logins.  The PPP
> login has "exec /usr/sbin/pppattachd server 2>/dev/null" as the last
> line of $HOME/.profile.  The pppcontrold subsystem is running.  Do I
> need a PTF, 4.1.5, 4.2, a patch to Win95, or maybe a brain transplant?
> I have read the the man pages for PPP.  I was unable to find anything on
> PPP configuration from IBM-4FAX, or on the tech support web page.  I do
> not have an IBM support contract, so that is not an option.  Any help
> appreciated, even RTFM if you name the manual.

> Thanks,
> Richard Gulledge

AIX - Win95 PPP

Post by Dennis Matz » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>What is the key to getting Win95 clients to make PPP connections to AIX
>4.1.4?  I have tried many configurations on both ends to no avail.  My
>Win95 system calls AIX and hangs on "Verifing user name and password".
>The PPP login and password are ok, they work from an attached ascii
>terminal, albeit with garbage after login.  I have the AIX modem port
>set to share, and it works fine when using non-PPP logins.  The PPP
>login has "exec /usr/sbin/pppattachd server 2>/dev/null" as the last
>line of $HOME/.profile.  The pppcontrold subsystem is running.  Do I
>need a PTF, 4.1.5, 4.2, a patch to Win95, or maybe a brain transplant?
>I have read the the man pages for PPP.  I was unable to find anything on
>PPP configuration from IBM-4FAX, or on the tech support web page.  I do
>not have an IBM support contract, so that is not an option.  Any help
>appreciated, even RTFM if you name the manual.

>Thanks,
>Richard Gulledge

The key is that you still need to log into AIX as the ppp user you
have setup. To do this in your dial-up networking configuation on the
WIN95 client do the following. Right click on the dial-up networking
ICON, click on the Configure Button, click on the Option Tab and then
click on the "Bring up terminal window after dialing" box. Click OK
until you are out of configuing the session.

Now dialin and when the RS-6000 answers you will get a small window
that you can login AIX using the username and password for the ppp
user. You will see some "garbage" looking stuff at the bottom of the
window. This is the RS-6000 tring to set-up the ppp session. Click on
the continue button and it should make the connection.

There are utilities that will allow you to write scripts to automate
this process. I have not used them however. We use ppp for support at
our customers site and we just go though the steps above.

AIX - Win95 PPP

Post by Richard Gulledg » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Thanks to all who responded, both here and by e-mail.  The missing piece
for me was to have "Log on to network" unchecked, and "Bring up terminal
window after dialing" checked on the Win95 client.  Everything is
working fine now.

1. PPP on AIX accessing NT/Win95 LAN

I have successfully configured our main Aix box to be a PPP server.  We are
able to dial into the Aix box from home via Win95 and access other Aix boxes
on LAN as well as having access to the Internet.

However, I cannot access any NT Servers or Win95 Workstations on the LAN,
eg. either via "Network Neighborhood" or "Mapping a Network Drive".  On my
home PC I have enabled all the protocols, ie. NetBEUI, IPX/SPX and TCP/IP,
in my "dial-up networking" utility, but I still cannot access any NT/Win95
boxes.

Is it possible to access the NT/Win95 boxes via an Aix PPP session ???
How do you do it ??

I know you can dial into an NT Server and you'll have access to the rest of
the LAN, but I hoping to keep the PPP link on the AIX box.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BUG report - PROBLEM in LARGEFILE64 support

3. Help - PPP for incoming dialin to AIX 4.3 from Win95 - but need packet forwarding

4. on Ghostscript

5. PPP using win95 client and aix 421 server

6. Apache WWW server for Interactive?

7. how to ppp(win95) - pppd(linux)+eth0 -- lan -- win95

8. A shell program:

9. PPP difficulties with win95 dialing to linux via ppp.

10. Win95's PPP <-> Linux PPP server?

11. Win95 PPP client script help needed --> SCO-5 dynamic inbound PPP

12. HELP: Win95 ppp vs. Linux ppp

13. PPP: Win95 PPP Dial-in Kills my Sun