Compiling Perl 5.6.1 on AIX 5.1

Post by Gena Storho » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 05:56:48

I am trying to install Perl 5.6.1 on an AIX 5.1 server.  We need to
have Perl version 5.6.1 since we have an internal company standard
requiring servers to use the same version of Perl and the current
standard version is 5.6.1.  Anyhow, I have tried downloading binaries
of Perl 5.6.1 from CPAN and the IBM site.  However, both of these were
compiled with "cc", which is not standard with the OS.  Therefore, we
can't install modules that require a compiler.  So, I downloaded the
source from CPAN and tried compiling that with GCC.  I have tried GCC
2.9 and 3.1, but neither worked (there were multiple errors during
./Configure, and "make" failed without even running anything).  We
have a demo version of "cc" and I have tried building with that.  It
works better than gcc (in that it actually tries to "make"), but it
fails during the make.

I am currently trying to build GCC 3.2.2 using the CC demo, and I have
no idea how that will turn out (the build takes a day or so, I hear),
but I was wondering if anyone could give any advice or tips building
things on AIX.  I've looked for install guides on-line and have only
found the very non-helpful README files which recommend not using GCC.
 Anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks!

Compiling Perl 5.6.1 on AIX 5.1

Post by Larry Star » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:15:29

> I am trying to install Perl 5.6.1 on an AIX 5.1 server.  We need to
> have Perl version 5.6.1 since we have an internal company standard
> requiring servers to use the same version of Perl and the current
> standard version is 5.6.1.  Anyhow, I have tried downloading binaries
> of Perl 5.6.1 from CPAN and the IBM site.  However, both of these were
> compiled with "cc", which is not standard with the OS.  Therefore, we
> can't install modules that require a compiler.  So, I downloaded the
> source from CPAN and tried compiling that with GCC.  I have tried GCC
> 2.9 and 3.1, but neither worked (there were multiple errors during
> ./Configure, and "make" failed without even running anything).  We
> have a demo version of "cc" and I have tried building with that.  It
> works better than gcc (in that it actually tries to "make"), but it
> fails during the make.

> I am currently trying to build GCC 3.2.2 using the CC demo, and I have
> no idea how that will turn out (the build takes a day or so, I hear),
> but I was wondering if anyone could give any advice or tips building
> things on AIX.  I've looked for install guides on-line and have only
> found the very non-helpful README files which recommend not using GCC.
>  Anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks!

On our site I simply installed perl 5.6.1 from the AIX Linux Toolbox CDROM.
This rpm is also available for download from the IBM site.

I then updated the perl/CPAN configuration to use GCC etc.  It does come
with the expectation that xlc, etc. will be used.

I would provide more details, path name, etc.  But I'm not at work right now.

information.

I'd be interrested in hearing how you come out with GCC 3.2.2.

Hope this helps.

Compiling Perl 5.6.1 on AIX 5.1

Post by Claude Wats » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:42:52

Quote:>I am trying to install Perl 5.6.1 on an AIX 5.1 server.  We need to
>have Perl version 5.6.1 since we have an internal company standard
>requiring servers to use the same version of Perl and the current
>standard version is 5.6.1.  Anyhow, I have tried downloading binaries
>of Perl 5.6.1 from CPAN and the IBM site.  However, both of these were
>compiled with "cc", which is not standard with the OS.  Therefore, we
>can't install modules that require a compiler.  So, I downloaded the
>source from CPAN and tried compiling that with GCC.  I have tried GCC
>2.9 and 3.1, but neither worked (there were multiple errors during
>./Configure, and "make" failed without even running anything).  We
>have a demo version of "cc" and I have tried building with that.  It
>works better than gcc (in that it actually tries to "make"), but it
>fails during the make.

>I am currently trying to build GCC 3.2.2 using the CC demo, and I have
>no idea how that will turn out (the build takes a day or so, I hear),
>but I was wondering if anyone could give any advice or tips building
>things on AIX.  I've looked for install guides on-line and have only
>found the very non-helpful README files which recommend not using GCC.
> Anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks!

        That is almost the solution I ended up with, except I compiled
gcc 3.2.2 with gcc 2.95.  If the CC demo gets you through the compile
you should be in good shape.  It did take about a day and a half to
finish compiling.
        In my case it was to get to Perl 5.8.0 as that is what we
standardized on.  gcc 3.2.2 did let me get that going and I can
install _most_ modules, although a couple that I have problems with
are some I could really use.  Those I'll have to deal with later.

Claude Watson

Compiling Perl 5.6.1 on AIX 5.1

Post by Albert Chin-A-Youn » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:58:58

> I am trying to install Perl 5.6.1 on an AIX 5.1 server.  We need to
> have Perl version 5.6.1 since we have an internal company standard
> requiring servers to use the same version of Perl and the current
> standard version is 5.6.1.  Anyhow, I have tried downloading binaries
> of Perl 5.6.1 from CPAN and the IBM site.  However, both of these were
> compiled with "cc", which is not standard with the OS.  Therefore, we
> can't install modules that require a compiler.  So, I downloaded the
> source from CPAN and tried compiling that with GCC.  I have tried GCC
> 2.9 and 3.1, but neither worked (there were multiple errors during
> ./Configure, and "make" failed without even running anything).  We
> have a demo version of "cc" and I have tried building with that.  It
> works better than gcc (in that it actually tries to "make"), but it
> fails during the make.

> I am currently trying to build GCC 3.2.2 using the CC demo, and I have
> no idea how that will turn out (the build takes a day or so, I hear),
> but I was wondering if anyone could give any advice or tips building
> things on AIX.  I've looked for install guides on-line and have only
> found the very non-helpful README files which recommend not using GCC.
> Anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks!

Apply this patch and try again with IBM's C compiler.:
--- Configure.orig      Thu Feb 27 16:36:45 2003

 if $test -f /lib/syscalls.exp; then
        echo " "
        echo "Also extracting names from /lib/syscalls.exp for good ole AIX..." >&4
-       $sed -n 's/^\([^        ]*\)[   ]*syscall[0-9]*$/\1/p' /lib/syscalls.exp >>libc.list
+       $sed -n 's/^\([^        ]*\)[   ]*syscall[0-9]*[        ]*$/\1/p' /lib/syscalls.exp >>libc.list
 fi
 ;;
 esac

--