RS6000 M320 memory upgrade (help please)

RS6000 M320 memory upgrade (help please)

Post by Ivan Maldona » Sat, 03 Oct 1992 06:42:33

Hello,

We have just received a box for a 16Mb to 48Mb upgrade on
our two RS6000 model 320's.  Unfortunately, I see no set of
instructions attached so I suspect it must be a trivial
task.  Before I embark into this (this weekend), I'd appreciate
if some of you could share their experiences and hand out some
free advice to me.

Thank you,

 | North Carolina State University |-------------------------------------
 | NCSU Box # 7909                 |  Go USA !! (1994 host to the WC)  |
 | Raleigh. NC 27695-7909          |    ..How many jobs ya' got MON!?  |

Post by Bob Sha » Sat, 03 Oct 1992 23:42:55

>We have just received a box for a 16Mb to 48Mb upgrade on
>our two RS6000 model 320's.  Unfortunately, I see no set of
>instructions attached so I suspect it must be a trivial
>task.  Before I embark into this (this weekend), I'd appreciate
>if some of you could share their experiences and hand out some
>free advice to me.

If you bought the memory from IBM, installation and testing by the
IBM Customer Engineer is included in the price.  Just call
1-800-426-7378 (IBM-SERV).

If you bought it from a third party, it depends on whether you have a
free memory slot, whether your memory upgrade consists of a new board
or of SIMMs.  It could be as easy as GROUNDING YOURSELF TO THE MACHINE
and plugging a board into an empty memory slot (on the left side of the
system, when facing it from the front).

Call your vendor.  (IBM I hope).

--

IBM Champaign

RS6000 M320 memory upgrade (help please)

Post by Ivan Maldona » Mon, 05 Oct 1992 06:22:25

Thank you very much to those of you who replied in regard to the
upgrade procedure. The installation of the new 32Mb board went
very smoothly on one of our machines because we already
had sufficient page-space available there.

On the other machine, however, we don't have enough page-space OR
free LPs/PPs.  Thus, I now face the task of reducing the size of
the /usr filesystem to allocate more page-space to the machine.  This
is true because our 0.7Gb external SCSI disk is plugged to the other
machine (which we access through NFS) so we can't use that for disk
for page-space.

If someone has the FAQ for this newsgroup, which I believe has the
reduction of /usr procedure in there, or the procedure itself, please
e-mail it to me or post it.

Thank you, again.