All login sessions are in use

Post by Mark Le » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

We are having this problem repeatedly. I have used who, users, and ps -elk
and never have these exceeded the maximum users. I have seen other posting's
like this but they haven't been any help. This machine is a 43p-150 running
AIX 4.3.2. The floating license is turned on and maximum users is set to 32.
Sure would like to determine what is making this machine think that all
available login's are in use.  Any help sure would be appreciated

Thanks

MLee

All login sessions are in use

Post by John Newma » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

As far as I can remember, each session that has had a getty spawned
against it is considered to be a login session. So it depends on how
your users are logging on to the box and how they are spawning or not as
the case may be multiple sessions. If they are repeatedly telneting into
the box then they be utilising all of the available sessions, if they
are spawning additional xterms, aixterms, dtterms from their main
session, then these are just additional processes and are not considered
to be login sessions.

One other expalination is that your accounting files (utmp and wtmp) are
not registering that users have actually logged off from the system, and
it thinks that there are more users on the system than there actually
are.

Other than that I am pretty stumped.

Later,  John.

Quote:> We are having this problem repeatedly. I have used who, users, and ps
-elk
> and never have these exceeded the maximum users. I have seen other
posting's
> like this but they haven't been any help. This machine is a 43p-150
running
> AIX 4.3.2. The floating license is turned on and maximum users is set
to 32.
> Sure would like to determine what is making this machine think that
all
> available login's are in use.  Any help sure would be appreciated

> Thanks

> MLee

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

All login sessions are in use

Post by Hugo Reibe » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Each login session is counted as a user so the only thing you can do is limiting

the number of login session for your users through smit chuser and the field
"Allowed LOGIN TIMES". On the other hand you can raise your floating license
number

Hugo

Mark Lee a crit :

Quote:> We are having this problem repeatedly. I have used who, users, and ps -elk
> and never have these exceeded the maximum users. I have seen other posting's
> like this but they haven't been any help. This machine is a 43p-150 running
> AIX 4.3.2. The floating license is turned on and maximum users is set to 32.
> Sure would like to determine what is making this machine think that all
> available login's are in use.  Any help sure would be appreciated

> Thanks

> MLee

  hreibel.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Manoj Pati » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Each login session is counted as a user so the only thing you can do is limiting

> the number of login session for your users through smit chuser and the field
> "Allowed LOGIN TIMES". On the other hand you can raise your floating license
> number

> Hugo

> Mark Lee a crit :

> > We are having this problem repeatedly. I have used who, users, and ps -elk
> > and never have these exceeded the maximum users. I have seen other posting's
> > like this but they haven't been any help. This machine is a 43p-150 running
> > AIX 4.3.2. The floating license is turned on and maximum users is set to 32.
> > Sure would like to determine what is making this machine think that all
> > available login's are in use.  Any help sure would be appreciated

> > Thanks

> > MLee

All login sessions are in use

Post by Manoj Pati » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Each login session is counted as a user so the only thing you can do is limiting

> the number of login session for your users through smit chuser and the field
> "Allowed LOGIN TIMES". On the other hand you can raise your floating license
> number

> Hugo

> Mark Lee a crit :

> > We are having this problem repeatedly. I have used who, users, and ps -elk
> > and never have these exceeded the maximum users. I have seen other posting's
> > like this but they haven't been any help. This machine is a 43p-150 running
> > AIX 4.3.2. The floating license is turned on and maximum users is set to 32.
> > Sure would like to determine what is making this machine think that all
> > available login's are in use.  Any help sure would be appreciated

> > Thanks

> > MLee

All login sessions are in use

Post by Manoj Pati » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Each login session is counted as a user so the only thing you can do is limiting

> the number of login session for your users through smit chuser and the field
> "Allowed LOGIN TIMES". On the other hand you can raise your floating license
> number

> Hugo

> Mark Lee a crit :

> > We are having this problem repeatedly. I have used who, users, and ps -elk
> > and never have these exceeded the maximum users. I have seen other posting's
> > like this but they haven't been any help. This machine is a 43p-150 running
> > AIX 4.3.2. The floating license is turned on and maximum users is set to 32.
> > Sure would like to determine what is making this machine think that all
> > available login's are in use.  Any help sure would be appreciated

> > Thanks

> > MLee

All login sessions are in use

Post by Manoj Pati » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I think Allowed LOGIN TIMES means something else and it is not a count.
How do change the licenses....

Thanks
Manoj

> Each login session is counted as a user so the only thing you can do is limiting

> the number of login session for your users through smit chuser and the field
> "Allowed LOGIN TIMES". On the other hand you can raise your floating license
> number

> Hugo

> Mark Lee a crit :

> > We are having this problem repeatedly. I have used who, users, and ps -elk
> > and never have these exceeded the maximum users. I have seen other posting's
> > like this but they haven't been any help. This machine is a 43p-150 running
> > AIX 4.3.2. The floating license is turned on and maximum users is set to 32.
> > Sure would like to determine what is making this machine think that all
> > available login's are in use.  Any help sure would be appreciated

> > Thanks

> > MLee

All login sessions are in use

Post by Lawry Sim » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I think Allowed LOGIN TIMES means something else and it is not a count.
>How do change the licenses....

smit chlicense

All login sessions are in use

Post by shane1.. » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

This has happened to me before. As root type in #smit pty. Then select:
Change / Show Characteristics of the PTY. See what your maximum pseudo
terminals is set to and make sure it is larger than your number of user
(I set all of mine to 256). You can increase this while the machine is
running, no reboot required.

Shane

Quote:> We are having this problem repeatedly. I have used who, users, and ps
-elk
> and never have these exceeded the maximum users. I have seen other
posting's
> like this but they haven't been any help. This machine is a 43p-150
running
> AIX 4.3.2. The floating license is turned on and maximum users is set
to 32.
> Sure would like to determine what is making this machine think that
all
> available login's are in use.  Any help sure would be appreciated

> Thanks

> MLee

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. login sessions keep on using CPU power after being logged out.

Hello,

it seems that since 1.3.35 or 36 login keeps active after I've closed my
terminal application (I don't always correctly log out). Currently there are
two login sessions active which don't connect to a terminal program (netstat)
for more that 12 hours. They're using up to 45% CPU power each :(
If I remember this behaviour started with 1.3.35 or 36 and it hasn't
disappeared with kernels up to 41.

Can anybody reproduce this strange behaviour?
I'm using slack 2.30.

TIA,

Wanne de Kler.

PS Has the kernel mailing list disappeared ? I used to receive a digest but I
haven't seen it for over three weeks now (I've lost the email address).

2. Getting a devices properties

3. Login Session Manager - adding session

4. Vapo-Rub

5. HELP: Login session using cu over TCP/IP line

6. aXe fails malloc!

7. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

8. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

9. Stabbed US preacher flees INDIA state (The same INS tactics used against the stabbed preacher)

10. Plug-Ins using C++

11. Am I on a telnet session ?

12. su login or using the RHS root login window

13. Need source to login that uses /etc/login.defs