Installing new sci devices

Post by Paul F. Willia » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

We are running AIX 4.2 and have been experiencing
some difficulty adding extra scsi devices to our systems.

As an example we wanted to add a cdrom to one of the systems.
Following a shutdown we added the device by plugging it into
the available scsi plug in the back (we also teminated the unit).
(By the way does it matter where the teminator goes, some of the
documentation leads one to put it on the top plug?  But it isn't
very clear.)

When we power up the computer it gets to the point where
538 appears on the led
  (538 = "The configuration manager is going to invoke
      a configuration method")
and then sits at that number for so long
we thought that it must be locked up.  At a later time we
just let it run for a long time and after 15 minutes or so
it got past this point and managed to boot, although the boot
process was exceedingly slow.

Should it take the system 15 min to figure out what to do with a new device?

One person I talked to said that it may not have had the necessary
information available during the boot phase or we may not have the latest
microcode installed.

They suggest removing the scsi teminator from a scsi chain while
the system is running (stopping all processes that might be using
resources on the chain) add the device then configure it.

The documentation I have looked over from the IBM online
documentation seems to avoid discussing adding devices to
your system except in the most general way.  Certainly didn't
see anything about waiting for 15 min until it gets past the
538 indicator.

If anyone has an approach that they are willing to share I am more than
willing to listen.

Thanks,

Paulw

Installing new sci devices

Post by Ken Abrahamse » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The only time I've had this happen is when 2 or more devices has the same
SCSI ID# assigned. The system can't decide which to boot from and usually
(?) boots into Service mode (at least on our system).
Hope this helps.
ken
==================

>We are running AIX 4.2 and have been experiencing
>some difficulty adding extra scsi devices to our systems.

>As an example we wanted to add a cdrom to one of the systems.
>Following a shutdown we added the device by plugging it into
>the available scsi plug in the back (we also teminated the unit).
>(By the way does it matter where the teminator goes, some of the
>documentation leads one to put it on the top plug?  But it isn't
>very clear.)

>When we power up the computer it gets to the point where
>538 appears on the led
>  (538 = "The configuration manager is going to invoke
>      a configuration method")
>and then sits at that number for so long
>we thought that it must be locked up.  At a later time we
>just let it run for a long time and after 15 minutes or so
>it got past this point and managed to boot, although the boot
>process was exceedingly slow.

>Should it take the system 15 min to figure out what to do with a new
device?

>One person I talked to said that it may not have had the necessary
>information available during the boot phase or we may not have the latest
>microcode installed.

>They suggest removing the scsi teminator from a scsi chain while
>the system is running (stopping all processes that might be using
>resources on the chain) add the device then configure it.

>The documentation I have looked over from the IBM online
>documentation seems to avoid discussing adding devices to
>your system except in the most general way.  Certainly didn't
>see anything about waiting for 15 min until it gets past the
>538 indicator.

>If anyone has an approach that they are willing to share I am more than
>willing to listen.

>Thanks,

>Paulw

Installing new sci devices

Post by v.. » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What does "lsdev -Cc cdrom" show for the scsi id and what does "lsdev -Cc
disk" show for the disk that is attached to this controller. Is you have a
scsi id conflict this will show it.

Is this a DE or a SI controller ?. My suggestion would be to check
termination.

Also you can boot the machine without the second device powered on and see how
long it takes. Once up run the command "cfgmgr -vl (name of scsi controller)"
to configure the second device and see if it still takes a long time or add
via smitty devices.

> The only time I've had this happen is when 2 or more devices has the same
> SCSI ID# assigned. The system can't decide which to boot from and usually
> (?) boots into Service mode (at least on our system).
> Hope this helps.
> ken
> ==================

> >We are running AIX 4.2 and have been experiencing
> >some difficulty adding extra scsi devices to our systems.

> >As an example we wanted to add a cdrom to one of the systems.
> >Following a shutdown we added the device by plugging it into
> >the available scsi plug in the back (we also teminated the unit).
> >(By the way does it matter where the teminator goes, some of the
> >documentation leads one to put it on the top plug?  But it isn't
> >very clear.)

> >When we power up the computer it gets to the point where
> >538 appears on the led
> >  (538 = "The configuration manager is going to invoke
> >      a configuration method")
> >and then sits at that number for so long
> >we thought that it must be locked up.  At a later time we
> >just let it run for a long time and after 15 minutes or so
> >it got past this point and managed to boot, although the boot
> >process was exceedingly slow.

> >Should it take the system 15 min to figure out what to do with a new
> device?

> >One person I talked to said that it may not have had the necessary
> >information available during the boot phase or we may not have the latest
> >microcode installed.

> >They suggest removing the scsi teminator from a scsi chain while
> >the system is running (stopping all processes that might be using
> >resources on the chain) add the device then configure it.

> >The documentation I have looked over from the IBM online
> >documentation seems to avoid discussing adding devices to
> >your system except in the most general way.  Certainly didn't
> >see anything about waiting for 15 min until it gets past the
> >538 indicator.

> >If anyone has an approach that they are willing to share I am more than
> >willing to listen.

> >Thanks,

> >Paulw

Installing new sci devices

Post by Pmarko29 » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Make sure you have the device driver loaded for the new device.  Remember that
AIX 4.0 and above do not load all the device drivers and they must be loaded
from the install CD. This has to be done each time you add a new device.

Installing new sci devices

Post by Christine R Coope » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello Paul,

I don't have any additional helpful advice to add (sorry) but I can confirm
some of the symptoms you are seeing.

I joined this newsgroup today to find out if anyone was having the same
problem as I was.  Guess so :).  I joined a new company and found an
external SCSI Fast / Wide Differential DLT 7000 drive sitting on top my AIX
server running AIX 4.2 (with patches).  I was told to "plug it in and get it
working".  Well after about 18 hours of messing with it, I am frustrated.
My machine also take about 15 minutes to boot (It sits on the same LED yours
does and I also thought it was hung).  It doesn't seem to make any
difference in boot time if the external device is attached or not.  I have
changed cable, checked internal case jumper settings, tried various SCSI ID
settings (0-6 only since 7 is the adapter card).  I have tried to run the
"advanced diagnostics, SCSI bus analyzer" etc.  Nothing sees this thing.  I
found out later that 2 other system administrators had spent time over the
last 6 months trying to get this thing working with my same results.  The
drive is brand new (or so I am told) and doesn't appear to be non-functional
although I don't have another fast / wide diff device to test it with (or
server to test the DLT on).  My gut feeling tells me that I must need some
kind of driver or patch for the OS.  Documentation from Quantum indicates
that AIX 4.1 supported the DLT 7000 so I am assuming that 4.2 also supports
it.

A responder this thread talked about loading a device driver from the
install CD.  I do have my original AIX 4.2 CD's but I am uncertain how to
load the drive.  Past explorations has showed various packages but I
wouldn't know how to load just one package or which package may contain the
device driver for the DLT 7000.  Any advice or a link to a good doc/white
paper.  I have hunted through the RS/6000 web site at IBM and looked at the
documents that talk about installing "a SCSI device" but they didn't get me
past the problem.

Thank You

Christine R Cooper

Post by Tim Henstoc » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>  [snip]  I joined a new company and found an
> external SCSI Fast / Wide Differential DLT 7000 drive sitting on top my AIX
> server running AIX 4.2 (with patches).  I was told to "plug it in and get it
> working".  Well after about 18 hours of messing with it, I am frustrated.
> My machine also take about 15 minutes to boot (It sits on the same LED yours
> does and I also thought it was hung).  It doesn't seem to make any
> difference in boot time if the external device is attached or not.  I have
> changed cable, checked internal case jumper settings, tried various SCSI ID
> settings (0-6 only since 7 is the adapter card).  I have tried to run the
> "advanced diagnostics, SCSI bus analyzer" etc

.  My gut feeling tells me that I must need some
Quote:> kind of driver or patch for the OS.  Documentation from Quantum indicates
> that AIX 4.1 supported the DLT 7000 so I am assuming that 4.2 also supports
> it.

> A responder this thread talked about loading a device driver from the
> install CD.  I do have my original AIX 4.2 CD's but I am uncertain how to
> load the drive.  Past explorations has showed various packages but I
> wouldn't know how to load just one package or which package may contain the
> device driver for the DLT 7000.  Any advice or a link to a good doc/white
> paper.  I have hunted through the RS/6000 web site at IBM and looked at the
> documents that talk about installing "a SCSI device" but they didn't get me
> past the problem.

try quantum support at http://www.quantum.com under application notes
for instructions -- the "3.2.5/4.1" ones will work fine since the only
thing in the instructions are the parameters that let you use software
control of write-modes. basically, unless it is IBM badged,
 it should install as "Other SCSI tape drive" --
AIX is real fussy about only letting IBM RS6000 products show up as
non-"other"
for some reason and in general wont tell you anything useful about such
beasts.
Long boot times are not unusual for IBM, particularly with lots of SCSI
buses or devices (our 595 with 5 controllers and lots of disks and tapes
generally takes more than 10 minutes to boot even if all is fine, longer
if
the devices change at all -- after rebuilding the machine room we once
started
the 595 booting, moved around a Sun E450 with equivalent configuration
for a
few minutes, and had a login prompt from the Sun several minutes before
the IBM was up). However, you say the drive is FWD, but refer only to
SCSI IDs 0-6 --
for wide 8-15 will also be available. lsdev -Cc adapter should show
"Wide SCSI I/O
controller", [although I'm not sure how to figure whether it is a
single-ended or diff
adapter without serious tramua, which is also something to check].
Particularly
if you have other "OST"s working in the system there should be no
problem
with device drivers unless the driver for the SCSI adapter is missing,
and I would
look for an incompatability between the FWD and either a narrow or
single ended
SCSI controller. I assume also that errpt shows nothing unusual?

Tim Henstock