TCP/IP configuration problem - en0 busy on IBM 580

TCP/IP configuration problem - en0 busy on IBM 580

Post by Al Andz » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm doing a conplete rewrite of AIX 4.2.1 onto a 580 machine.  When I turn the
key to to NORMAL the boot progresses normally through the start of the dpid2
daemon.  Then nothing further shows up on the screen.  It won't go to the login
prompt.  I've then tried to configure TCP/IP in service mode so that I might be
able to telnet in but always get the message that the en0 is busy and can't
configure.  Any ideas?

Post by David Ry » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I'm doing a conplete rewrite of AIX 4.2.1 onto a 580 machine.  When I turn the
> key to to NORMAL the boot progresses normally through the start of the dpid2
> daemon.  Then nothing further shows up on the screen.  It won't go to the login
> prompt.  I've then tried to configure TCP/IP in service mode so that I might be
> able to telnet in but always get the message that the en0 is busy and can't
> configure.  Any ideas?

chdev -len0 -a state=down
chdev -l en0 -a state=up

often works or else only apply the change you wish to make to the
database

chdev -P -len0 ....
chdev -P -l ent0 ....

Thease changes will then be implemented on the next reboot

1. new twist - "888" - TCP/IP configuration problem - en0 busy on IBM 580

original problem:

I'm doing a conplete rewrite of AIX 4.2.1 onto a 580 machine.  When I turn the
key to to NORMAL the boot progresses normally through the start of the dpid2
daemon.  Then nothing further shows up on the screen.  It won't go to the login
prompt.  I've then tried to configure TCP/IP in service mode so that I might be
able to telnet in but always get the message that the en0 is busy and can't
configure.  Any ideas?

new twist:

When I do a "diag" and run the test on "all devices" the machine goes to "888".

If I test "all devices" without the parallel port the system comes back with no
errors.

If I test only the parallel port it again goes to "888" with the following
codes as I cycle through:

888 102 300 0c8 ccc 103 804 827 c01 100 200 300 400 500 626

then the cycle repeats

Help

2. WN version 1.08 released!

3. IBM 580 (type 7013) supported ?

4. how to configure the serial port

5. Help Needed with IBM 580

6. Chat script

7. Dlink DFE-580 4 port NIC problem

8. Flushing parallel printer?

9. RS6000 580 and Exabyte problem

10. Compaq 580 CDS Matsushita CD-ROM Problem?

11. boot problem rs6000/580

12. QUESTION: Problem Changing Network Configuration (TCP/IP)

13. TCP/IP configuration problems persist!!