Installing gcc on AIX 4.2, genattrtab dies

Installing gcc on AIX 4.2, genattrtab dies

Post by Bob Sha » Tue, 24 Dec 1996 04:00:00

When installing gcc 2.7.2.1 on a freshly upgraded AIX 4.2 system,
genattrtab dies during the stage1 make.

I'm using IBM's xlC 3.1.3.0 compiler, which doesn't complain when
compiling genattrtab.c, but the resulting program "cores" after writing
the header (comment) lines to insn-attrtab.c .

I continued, successfully, by exporting the working directory,
NFS-mounting it from a 4.1.3 system, compiling it on that system
with gcc 2.7.2, then switching back to my 4.2 system and:
./genattrtab rs6000.md > insn-attrtab.c
touch stamp-attrtab

and then resuming the "make".

I haven't worked much with GNU products, but want to report this
in case others encounter it.

I don't understand the problem well enough to report it to IBM
as an xlC bug, but I did search the IBM problem database on IBMlink,
without seeing anything similar.

I have the core file still, and can probably recreate the whole process.

--
Bob Shair                          Open Systems Consultant

Champaign, IL 61821                217/356-2684
< Not employed by or representing the University of Illinois >

1. AIX 4.2 xlC_r4 --> AIX 4.3.3 Visual or gcc?

We have a large application running on, among other platforms, AIX 4.2,
and built with the  xlC compiler.  We want to move to AIX 4.3.3, so
obviously we need to get a newer compiler.

As long as we have to do battle with compiler switches anyway, we have the
option of buying the Visual 5.0 compiler (I think that's the latest
version).

I'm not an AIX expert; none of us [left] are.  I would like to hear
informed opinions on whether gcc will cut it for us, or should we go with
the commercial product.  Specifically, how picky is it, how are the error
messages, and how does the optimization compare?

Thanks in advance.  Pointers to infosources also welcome; I'm not afraid
of a little work.

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Football is not a contact sport; it is a collision sport.
DK KD  Dancing is a contact sport.              --Vince Lombardi
DDDD

2. inb and outb gives trouble after Kernel 2.4 upgrade

3. AIX 4.2 print queue dies

4. Windows name resolution

5. Need gcc 2.8.1 for AIX 4.2

6. 7/7 Fix error bounds checking for NUMA-Q

7. gcc 2.7.2.3 binary for AIX 4.2

8. remote ftp

9. AIX 4.2 on 43P: gcc/cc

10. gcc for AIX 4.2

11. compiling apache 1.1.3 under AIX 4.2 and gcc compiler

12. GCC binary for AIX 4.2???

13. Installation of a gnu-gcc Compiler on AIX 4.2