how can reduce the size of the /, /usr and /tmp filesystems ?

how can reduce the size of the /, /usr and /tmp filesystems ?

Post by Minh Tran- » Tue, 22 Oct 1991 01:11:47

Does anyone knows how to reduce the size of the /, /usr and /tmp filesystems.
After you have installed all your preloaded system and after an update,
they are really too big and waste a lots of space.

Thanks,
Minh Tran-Le.

Post by Michael Alexand » Wed, 23 Oct 1991 09:20:07

|> Does anyone knows how to reduce the size of the /, /usr and /tmp filesystems.
|> After you have installed all your preloaded system and after an update,
|> they are really too big and waste a lots of space.
|>
|> Thanks,
|> Minh Tran-Le

There are several ways to accomplish this. I would recommend to

       1) run the script mkszfile
          (determines the LV sizes and creates a file called .fs_size in /)

       2) Edit .fs_size adjusting the sizes of /usr etc.
          (the numbers are multiples of 4MB;be careful to leave enough free space)

       3) Run mksysb (look in Info for the exact syntax) which will write
          .fs_size as the first file on tape and then create a full
          image-backup.

       4) Restore the machine

There are faster methods but they need a lot of free disk-space. Please be
sure to have another backup in case of errors in .fs_size.

Michael F. Alexander
University of Southern California
Ma-Bel-Network:    (213) 745 7895

1. Reducing the size of /usr filesystem

Hi,

We have recently moved a large application and it's data (13GB) from /usr to
another volume group. I would like to reduce /usr to somewhere around 2GB.
From what I have read it is possible to reduce the size of a filesystem,
however it gets tricky with /usr. I have a plan but I'm open to hints and
suggestions. This in an F50 on AIX 4.3.3

My plan:

1. Backup /usr
2. Boot to maintenance mode
3. Unmount and rmfs /usr
4. Create "new" /usr
        mklv -yhd2 -a'e' rootvg 128    (16MB PP's)
        crfs -vjfs -dhd2 -m'/usr' -Ayes -p'rw'
5. Mount "new" /usr
6. Restore from tape.
7. Reboot to normal mode.

The commands I have chosen to create the new /usr come from F6 in SMIT.

Are there quicker, easier ways to accomplish this? I welcome any tips or
suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris M.

2. Problems using SVGA with Gateway 2100 Laptop

3. /tmp vs /usr/tmp vs /var/tmp

4. _What_ do I do?!?

5. Reducing an AIX filesystem /tmp

6. Mandrake 8.0 and Alcatel Speedtouch USB support

7. How to reduce the size of /tmp

8. Help, Help in the Slackware 3.0.0 installation (configuration?)

9. reducing size of /tmp

10. Reducing the size of /usr partition?

11. How to reduce the size of /dev/hd2 (/usr) space?

12. Reducing size of /usr

13. Reducing /usr filesystem on 4.2.1