tapeutil - library software?

Post by Sean Trai » Wed, 16 May 2001 15:20:05

I recently aquired a used Exabye 10H library and I would like to write
scripts to use this in random mode. I found other postings that
referenced a command called "tapeutil" but this is not on my system and
I received no software with the unit.

Can anyone tell me where to get tapeutil and instructions?

Also is there any sample source code available for sending commands to
the tape library?

Pardon my iognorance, but do all liraries use the same commands or do
you need a different command for each one? Are special drivers required?

Thanks!

tapeutil - library software?

Post by Old Decrepit Circus Monke » Wed, 16 May 2001 22:24:28

That's part of Atape I believe.

ftp to ftp.software.ibm.com, look under /storage/devdrvr/AIX

monkey

> I recently aquired a used Exabye 10H library and I would like to write
> scripts to use this in random mode. I found other postings that
> referenced a command called "tapeutil" but this is not on my system and
> I received no software with the unit.

> Can anyone tell me where to get tapeutil and instructions?

> Also is there any sample source code available for sending commands to
> the tape library?

> Pardon my iognorance, but do all liraries use the same commands or do
> you need a different command for each one? Are special drivers required?

> Thanks!

tapeutil - library software?

Post by Stephen Wyli » Thu, 17 May 2001 01:30:22

Yeah, fileset atape.driver I believe. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work
properly. It didn't with the IBM Magstar in our case. See also a recent post
to this group on the subject.

Steve

> That's part of Atape I believe.

> ftp to ftp.software.ibm.com, look under /storage/devdrvr/AIX

> monkey

> > I recently aquired a used Exabye 10H library and I would like to write
> > scripts to use this in random mode. I found other postings that
> > referenced a command called "tapeutil" but this is not on my system and
> > I received no software with the unit.

> > Can anyone tell me where to get tapeutil and instructions?

> > Also is there any sample source code available for sending commands to
> > the tape library?

> > Pardon my iognorance, but do all liraries use the same commands or do
> > you need a different command for each one? Are special drivers required?

> > Thanks!

tapeutil - library software?

Post by Sean Trai » Thu, 17 May 2001 03:28:41

Does Atape driver and tapeutil command work on any tape library (mine is Exb10H) or only on IBM libraries? If not, where can I get driver/utilities for the exabyte libraries? I checked their web site but didnt find AIX drivers.

> That's part of Atape I believe.

> ftp to ftp.software.ibm.com, look under /storage/devdrvr/AIX

> monkey

> > I recently aquired a used Exabye 10H library and I would like to write
> > scripts to use this in random mode. I found other postings that
> > referenced a command called "tapeutil" but this is not on my system and
> > I received no software with the unit.

> > Can anyone tell me where to get tapeutil and instructions?

> > Also is there any sample source code available for sending commands to
> > the tape library?

> > Pardon my iognorance, but do all liraries use the same commands or do
> > you need a different command for each one? Are special drivers required?

> > Thanks!

1. tapeutil can't "see" 7337 Tape Library.

I'm trying to control a 7337 tape library using tapeutil. We have one
system where this works OK, but another where tapeutil reports...

Open failed: No such device or address

...when I try to control it.

The "smc0" device appears, and the detail can be displayed, using SMIT
(Devices/Tape Drive/Change Show...), there is also an entry in the
"dev" directory (/dev/smc0).

The only differnce I can see between the working system and this, is
that the working system "lscfg" shows the "smc0" device, and the
non-working one doesn't.

Can anybody help?

Many Thanks,
   =Adrian=

2. Nameserver IP update

3. tapeutil - how to return to first tape in the library

4. TS4000

5. IBM 7332-205 - Tapeutil software

6. CYGWIN REDHAT 7.2 XDMCP

7. Help with Tapeutil!

8. upgrade solaris2.3 - 2.5

9. Tapeutil

10. tapeutil

11. 7336 tape changer offline & tapeutil cmds

12. libraries libraries libraries

13. GPL libraries and commercial software