Xalan on AIX Core Dumps due to Illegal Instruction

Xalan on AIX Core Dumps due to Illegal Instruction

Post by Jonathan Jose » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:48:55

I had been experiencing core dumps, due to 'Illegal Instruction'
(SIFILL), while running Xalan (Apache's xslt processor) on an AIX 4.3
box.  This Xalan binary executable was obtained from the Apache
website and was advertised to run under AIX 4.3 and was built via
Visual Age C++ 5.02.

Upon the suggestion of a co-worker, I tried running Xalan on another
aix box and it ran perfectly.  Now, I need to find out what the
difference is between running on the 2 aix boxes is.

Notes:
1) uname -a : aix box where Xalan runs successfully:
 AIX esearch 3 4 00230044C000
2) uname -a : aix box where Xalan core dumps:
 AIX sandbox 3 4 000CC40D4C00

I plan to investigate both the machine/global aspects vs my login
environments.

Does anyone have any ideas for a possible explanation?
Or any ideas on how to proceed to determine why the executable ran on
one aix box and not on the other?

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan

Post by Gary R. Hoo » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:42:02

> I had been experiencing core dumps, due to 'Illegal Instruction'
> (SIFILL), while running Xalan (Apache's xslt processor) on an AIX 4.3
> box.  This Xalan binary executable was obtained from the Apache
> website and was advertised to run under AIX 4.3 and was built via
> Visual Age C++ 5.02.

> Upon the suggestion of a co-worker, I tried running Xalan on another
> aix box and it ran perfectly.  Now, I need to find out what the
> difference is between running on the 2 aix boxes is.

> Notes:
> 1) uname -a : aix box where Xalan runs successfully:
>  AIX esearch 3 4 00230044C000
> 2) uname -a : aix box where Xalan core dumps:
>  AIX sandbox 3 4 000CC40D4C00

> I plan to investigate both the machine/global aspects vs my login
> environments.

uname is worthless.  What you want to do is check fileset
levels, especially bos.up/mp, bos.rte.libc and bos.rte.libpthreads.
The one machine is likely back-level compared to the other.

You might also try running vim under dbx, and when it crashes
do a "where" to see if you get a stack trace.  Might prove
informative.

--
Gary R. Hook / AIX PartnerWorld for Developers / These opinions are MINE

Xalan on AIX Core Dumps due to Illegal Instruction

Post by Jonathan Jose » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:06:50

Quote:> uname is worthless.  What you want to do is check fileset
> levels, especially bos.up/mp, bos.rte.libc and bos.rte.libpthreads.
> The one machine is likely back-level compared to the other.

It appears that you have pinpointed the problem.

Thanks!

Post by Gary R. Hoo » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 04:24:33

>>uname is worthless.  What you want to do is check fileset
>>levels, especially bos.up/mp, bos.rte.libc and bos.rte.libpthreads.
>>The one machine is likely back-level compared to the other.

> It appears that you have pinpointed the problem.

That's why they pay me the big bucks.

Quote:> Thanks!

Glad to be of service.

--
Gary R. Hook / AIX PartnerWorld for Developers / These opinions are MINE

1. Constant Illegal Instructions, Seg Faults, and Core dumpages

I assume you use the stock ical and that was compiled for intel. I see a
problem right there. If you want those programs
you need to get the tar files and compile them yourself. Just write a "Hello
World" program in C to convince yourself.

2. LD_LIBRARY_PATH

3. networking 40 PCs (Windows 95) and Linux

4. AIX 4.3.x malloc Illegal Instruction

5. up2date

6. dump core or not dump core

7. TERM, everyone got it working???

8. core dumps core dumps everywhere...

9. ABORT instruction (core dumped) durying an exec(2) call

10. ___Help me...CORE DUMPED with 3 instructions...SIGH

11. Java 2: Illegal instriuction - core dumped

12. Xalan 1.3 giving problem on AIX 4.3.3