Hi

Post by msun.. » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi
I have a problem. I am trying to copy the contents of a directory to a
different directory.
The command is like this:
cp /proe/drawings/vault_1/* /ilink/filevault/vault_1/

I get the error message: arguments too long.
I use the same thing in Solaris and it seems to work fine.
vault_1 has around 5000 files. Is this is a limitation of AIX and if
so, is there a way around it

Thanks
Madhu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Hi

Post by sol gongol » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

aix expands it to:
cp /proe/drawings/vault_1/file1 /proe/drawings/vault_1/file2
/proe/drawings/vault_1/file3 .... /ilink/filevault/vault_1/
which, for 5000 files, is more than aix can handle.

I believe aix cp has a -r option to 'recurse' into the
directory. i am not sure of the exact syntax but
try something like these:

cp -r /proe/drawings/vault_1/ /ilink/filevault/vault_1/
cp -r /proe/drawings/vault_1/ /ilink/filevault/

good luck

Quote:> Hi
> I have a problem. I am trying to copy the contents of a directory to a
> different directory.
> The command is like this:
> cp /proe/drawings/vault_1/* /ilink/filevault/vault_1/

> I get the error message: arguments too long.
> I use the same thing in Solaris and it seems to work fine.
> vault_1 has around 5000 files. Is this is a limitation of AIX and if
> so, is there a way around it

> Thanks
> Madhu

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hi

Post by F. Michael Or » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> aix expands it to:
> cp /proe/drawings/vault_1/file1 /proe/drawings/vault_1/file2
> /proe/drawings/vault_1/file3 .... /ilink/filevault/vault_1/
> which, for 5000 files, is more than aix can handle.

> I believe aix cp has a -r option to 'recurse' into the
> directory. i am not sure of the exact syntax but
> try something like these:

> cp -r /proe/drawings/vault_1/ /ilink/filevault/vault_1/
> cp -r /proe/drawings/vault_1/ /ilink/filevault/

I don't think the problem was the subdirectories weren't being recursed
into, it was rather the number of files exceeded the command line length
of the cp command.  There is a command called 'xargs' for just this type
of situation.  You'd have to 'cd' to the directory to be copied from,
then the syntax would be:

ls | xargs cp {} /ilink/filevault/vault_1

Quote:> > Hi

--

F. Michael Orr
Sr. Systems Engineer

Hi

Post by Norman Levi » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hi
> I have a problem. I am trying to copy the contents of a directory to a
> different directory.
> The command is like this:
> cp /proe/drawings/vault_1/* /ilink/filevault/vault_1/

> I get the error message: arguments too long.

*** first use the command "set -o xtrace' and then do your copy.
you will see why the arguement line is to long.
Try 'pax -rw /inputdir /outputdir'

Quote:> I use the same thing in Solaris and it seems to work fine.

--
-------------
Norman Levin  - VM/dynAmIX inc

Hi

Post by Allan E Can » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

You could try:

cd /proe/drawings
find vault_1 -print | cpio -pmud /ilink/filevault

This is nice if you are going to copy thing reguarly since you can use
the newer flag on find and do an "incremental" copy.

Hope this helps,
Allan

> Hi
> I have a problem. I am trying to copy the contents of a directory to a
> different directory.
> The command is like this:
> cp /proe/drawings/vault_1/* /ilink/filevault/vault_1/

> I get the error message: arguments too long.
> I use the same thing in Solaris and it seems to work fine.
> vault_1 has around 5000 files. Is this is a limitation of AIX and if
> so, is there a way around it

> Thanks
> Madhu

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

-- Allan E Cano
--

-- Home Page: http://www.bigfoot.com/~aec4425

1. Hi, this is about security

Hi, finally I've got my intranet site installed with a firewall protecting
the internet connection.
I had attack problems in the past so now I do not accept incoming
connections to the firewall.

I'm evaluating ssh to reenable at least a port but I've found concerns about
the security of sshd.

Is this sshd secure? Is there any other way to establish a secure connection
(I want to telnet)?

Thanks
EOT

2. Linux/AcceleratedX: Mouse button Cut/Paste stopped working!

3. HI-LO EPP-01 E(E)PROM programmer

4. FTP / NFS Installation

5. hi

6. overwriting active files

7. Hi I need to catch all the Exit from a shell script

8. How do I use /dev/kmem?

9. Hi,How I can find a hex edit in the Linux environment?

10. hi there! plz, help me with login.

11. hi-tech pre-IPO oppty - needs UNIX admin

12. Hi, I just installed RH 6.0....now what ???

13. Hi-Resolution PDFs