Maintenance for Unix Lans ?

Post by Eliza Strickl » Wed, 22 Apr 1992 03:08:56

We have 5 RS/6000 and 2 Sun Sparcs on a Lan and are going to buy
more RS/6000.  We have been talking to AJS as a possible third
party maintenance for our set up - we have not been quoted a price
yet. I was wondering what other people's experience with
maintenance has been, so we could make a decsion as far as
whether to get full maintenance, partiall maintenance or no
maintenance and whether third party maintenace is up to par
on these newer machines.

Any comments are welcomed. If enough information is attained,
I will summarize comments.

Thanks,
    Elizabeth

    Georgia State University      (404) 651-4573            /|  stay alive
    Wells Computer Center                                   / >

1. IP-Forwarding PPP-LAN but not LAN-LAN

Hi!

We have a Linux-Server (SuSE6.2) with 2 network-cards (different
TCP/IP-networks on each card).
We cannot allow any IP-Forwarding between these two cards.

Now - the problem is that we also want to use a modem for a PPP-connection
to one of these TCP/IP-networks.
At the moment this is only working when we set IP_FORWARDING to "yes"; but
now the Linux-Server may also
forward IP-traffic between both network cards.

I'm looking for a simple solution to solve this problem.
I haven't yet worked with firewalls, but in my opinion I will need to use
one.

Does anyone have any experiences / hints to help me in this problem?

Thanks in advance

Martin Pauly

2. Root access via Telnet (achieved with limits)

3. Hardware maintenance for 486 running SCO UNIX

4. Bonehead Move.

5. The LAN Manager software for SCO Unix

6. optimize fixed size kmalloc calls

7. How to configure Linux for a LAN of NT machines + 3COM 3C891 LAN Modem

8. PPP permissions?

9. project: samba over a lan-phoneline-lan connection.

10. Port forwarding, NAT and LAN-to-LAN connections

11. Same room LAN to LAN connection

12. LAN versus Unix

13. LAN to LAN connection over modems