smit backfile and smit backfilesys question

smit backfile and smit backfilesys question

Post by Dave LaPor » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

     Could someone help me with some basic AIX questions..?  I am
trying to document a quick set of backup procedures for our AIX
system.

1.     I have been reading the AIX manuals for our AIX v4.1 box, which

        states that I can back up a file to /dev/rfd0 ( floppy ) by
executing

# smit backfile [ enter info ]  | Do

   Then to restore the file it states

# restore -t

    Which is supposed to go to it's default device /dev/rfd0 and
restore the file.  Only it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong

2.  Is this correct, that because you need at least 1.88 meg for a jfs

     filesystem you cannot create one on a floppy disk.  If that's
     true, then why have one.  Do aministrators just use it for taring
     files to rfd0.  Also,  is there a way to store files on a dos
     floppy.

Thanks

Dave LaPorte.

Post by Dmitry Gordo » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>      Could someone help me with some basic AIX questions..?  I am
> trying to document a quick set of backup procedures for our AIX
> system.

> 1.     I have been reading the AIX manuals for our AIX v4.1 box, which

>         states that I can back up a file to /dev/rfd0 ( floppy ) by
> executing

> # smit backfile [ enter info ]  | Do

>    Then to restore the file it states

> # restore -t

>     Which is supposed to go to it's default device /dev/rfd0 and
> restore the file.  Only it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong

-t  -- test (view) archive
-x -- restore

Quote:

> 2.  Is this correct, that because you need at least 1.88 meg for a jfs

>      filesystem you cannot create one on a floppy disk.  If that's

 That's not true. FS is contained on a Logical Volume. Logical Volume
consists of at least one Logical Partition. Logical Partition's size is
within 1MB-256MB. So FS size minimum is <1MB

Quote:

>      true, then why have one.  Do aministrators just use it for taring
>      files to rfd0.

Yes for essential configuration files (eg. security files). Some support
procedures requires FDD (eg. microcode update).

Quote:> Also,  is there a way to store files on a dos
>      floppy.

dosread, doswrite, dosdir

> Thanks

> Dave LaPorte.

regards, Dmitry

smit backfile and smit backfilesys question

Post by Leo Phoeni » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

It's best if you do this command

tar cvf /dev/rfd0   to archive on disk as tar format
tar xvf /dev/rd0    to extract from disk

Post by Norman Levi » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>      Could someone help me with some basic AIX questions..?  I am
> trying to document a quick set of backup procedures for our AIX
> system.

> 1.     I have been reading the AIX manuals for our AIX v4.1 box, which

>         states that I can back up a file to /dev/rfd0 ( floppy ) by
> executing

> # smit backfile [ enter info ]  | Do

>    Then to restore the file it states

> # restore -t

The "t" or "T" operands show you the "table of contents" or the files that
are on the disk/diskette.  You eXtract with the 'x' option.

Quote:

>     Which is supposed to go to it's default device /dev/rfd0 and
> restore the file.  Only it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong

> 2.  Is this correct, that because you need at least 1.88 meg for a jfs

>      filesystem you cannot create one on a floppy disk.  If that's
>      true, then why have one.  Do aministrators just use it for taring

** I am not sure what you are saying here.  It is possible to create a logical volume
that is as small as 1 meg, but even so, a 1 meg logical volume is not necessarily full.
So, if I have a logical volume that is 1 gig - BUT I only want to back up several files, I can
still write them out to diskette.  Back up writes to diskette in a raw manner, like tar
or cpio - but naturally in its own format.
--
Norman Levin

smit backfile and smit backfilesys question

Post by Dave LaPor » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

        I just want to say thnks to everyone that had offered there
input in the backfile issure,  I know have it working as it should

Thanks again

Dave LaPorte.

>     Could someone help me with some basic AIX questions..?  I am
>trying to document a quick set of backup procedures for our AIX
>system.

>1.     I have been reading the AIX manuals for our AIX v4.1 box, which

>        states that I can back up a file to /dev/rfd0 ( floppy ) by
>executing

># smit backfile [ enter info ]  | Do

>   Then to restore the file it states

># restore -t

>    Which is supposed to go to it's default device /dev/rfd0 and
>restore the file.  Only it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong

>2.  Is this correct, that because you need at least 1.88 meg for a jfs

>     filesystem you cannot create one on a floppy disk.  If that's
>     true, then why have one.  Do aministrators just use it for taring
>     files to rfd0.  Also,  is there a way to store files on a dos
>     floppy.

>Thanks

>Dave LaPorte.

1. Pb with smit chgaio and smit chgsys

Hi,

AIX is 4.3.3

I have the following strange problem: I cannot change Asynch I/O
parameters or system parameters with smit. smit returns an error message
and in smit.log I can find the following:

     Object class: sm_cmd_opt,
         id   = "chgaioCmdOpt", id_seq_num = "030",
         name = "State of fast path"

     Command_to_Discover follows:
lsattr -l aio0 -E -O

1800-091 Format error ("#" missing) in output
from the Command_to_Discover:
"".

(The Command_to_Discover is:
"lsattr -l aio0 -E -O   ".)

If I launch "lsattr -El aio0" it returns nothing although lsdev -C shows

aio as available.

Similar effect is on smit chgsys.

What is wrong or how can I correct this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Best regards
--
Helmut Leininger

Bull AG / Vienna
Open Systems Support

This opinion is mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
No guarantees whatsoever.

2. Toshiba 2595CDT

3. smit.log and smit.script files

4. Please help with PCMCIA CNF CardPort CDROM

5. Question on NFS - AIX to Linux can't mount using smit and /etc/filesystems

6. Zip drive q's

7. Multiple user listing with Smit

8. Newbie needs installation help with EISA SCSI, disk translation??

9. SMIT FOR LINUX?

10. SMIT and Remote Printers

11. smit error adding print que

12. Bad SMIT behaviour (increasing JFS size)

13. Feeding smit from stdin?