installing packages in aix

Post by Matthew Crem » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm pretty new to AIX.  Just got an IBM RS/6000 with AIX 4.1.

I'm trying to install some gnu software, ie. gcc, emacs, make....

I'm having trouble as the C-compiler on my system does not seem to be
working.  I get the following output when I try to run './configure'
after un-tarring the downloaded files:

###############
# ./configure
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking host system type... powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.4.0
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
ichecking for gcc... no
checking for cc... cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.
#
###########

Has anyone had this type of problem before?  Will I need to re-install
something?  If so, do you know what it is?  I'm sure I have a licensed
version of C and C++ for AIX from IBM.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
-Matt

Matthew Crema
Biomedical Engineering Department Engineer
Boston University, USA

Phone:(617)353-1868
Fax:  (617)353-6766