Multiple Consoles

Post by Stefan Tibu » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 00:37:43

Hello,

is it possible to have multiple consoles in AIX
like in UNIX? What software does this require?
I also wonder if there's a trick to switch between
the console and the X-Window, I couldn't find
any working shortkey yet.

Tnx,
Stefan

Multiple Consoles

Post by Urban A. Haa » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 16:11:53

Not sure I understand what you're trying to do. In AIX, multiple graphics
cards come up in the same X-window session, moving the mouse between them.

The swcons command can redirect the "console" to any devices. Running
"swcons $(tty)" will switch it to the current terminal or window.

--
Urban A. Haas
CEO - Urban Technology, Inc.

Web: http://www.urbantechnology.com

This e-mail was composed of 100% recycled bits.

Quote:> Hello,

> is it possible to have multiple consoles in AIX
> like in UNIX? What software does this require?
> I also wonder if there's a trick to switch between
> the console and the X-Window, I couldn't find
> any working shortkey yet.

> Tnx,
> Stefan

Multiple Consoles

Post by Alberto 'JCN-9000' Varesi » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 16:29:23

> Hello,

> is it possible to have multiple consoles in AIX
> like in UNIX? What software does this require?

Have a look at http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/screen.html, just a sort of.

Quote:> I also wonder if there's a trick to switch between
> the console and the X-Window, I couldn't find
> any working shortkey yet.

There was one on AIX 3.x, IIRC, but it has gone (?)

Quote:

--
 Alberto 'JCN-9000' Varesio -AIX V4.3 System Support- Phone: +39-011-415-8111
 EDIST Spa - Via Goito 51/A      Riding the world       Fax: +39-0270040-8636

Multiple Consoles

Post by Norman Levi » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:37:37

> Hello,

> is it possible to have multiple consoles in AIX
> like in UNIX? What software does this require?
> I also wonder if there's a trick to switch between
> the console and the X-Window, I couldn't find
> any working shortkey yet.

** AIX 3.2.5 supported virtual terminals/consoles.  At that time, if you
had a graphic display hooked up, it would appear as "/dev/hft/0" - that is,
a "high function terminal".  I think you could have up to 16 virtual
terminals (/dev/hft/15).  I think the hot key was ctl/alt/tab.

When AIX V4 came out, there was a desire to become spec1170 (unix)
certified.  That meant console support was rewritten to support "streams"
(that's all I know about streams).  In the rewrite, hft support was
dropped and the high function terminal
became a 'low function terminal' and you see /dev/lft0 on your system.

The thought was, since AIX V4 supported the "Common Desktop Environment", the
user had multiple desktop supported by CDE so the user didn't lose much
function.  Personally, I like virtual terminal support.  I constantly use
it in Linux where I'm running gnome or kde on one virtual terminal and
then using another terminal to bring up X to connect to AIX.

--
Norman Levin

greatest power, the village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the
leader.'"

1. Multiple consoles on one physical console?

We have three Sun servers next to each other in one room, and of course
the associated three consoles are there on tables next to them. We are
bringing in a new machine, and we need to get rid of one of the tables
to make room for it. What I was wondering was, is it possible to use
something along the lines of an A-B switch for consoles for Suns?

Alternatively, a colleague of mine was saying that he had heard about
some software (possible written at Stanford University) that allowed
you to bring up consoles in xterms. Has anybody heard of/Is anybody
using this software?

Thanks in advance...

  None of the above statements necessarily represent the views of the DOD.
"I was raised to be charming, not sincere." Prince Charming, Into the Woods

2. Date Conversion

3. multiple consoles on multiple monitors

4. Using Apple Laserwriter w/ Linux

5. Is it possible to configure xdm to start on multiple consoles?

6. Network Configuration

7. devfs & multiple consoles

8. Unable to find a Usable Depth Error

9. multiple consoles back to a single screen

10. Multiple console logins?

11. multiple consoles

12. Multiple console

13. multiple consoles?