pts number keeps increasing

Post by Peter Hardi » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 00:12:30

Hi,

We have a site with about 100 users on a 4.2.1 system. Every month or
so, they reach their pty0 limit (set to 350) and get the message:

telnetd: All network ports in use

I increased the pty0 level to 450 to fix the problem immediately.

Why are new users getting allocated high pts numbers and not available
low ones?

Thanks.

Post by Steve » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 05:47:05

> Hi,

> We have a site with about 100 users on a 4.2.1 system. Every month or
> so, they reach their pty0 limit (set to 350) and get the message:

> telnetd: All network ports in use

> I increased the pty0 level to 450 to fix the problem immediately.

> Why are new users getting allocated high pts numbers and not available
> low ones?

> Thanks.

Hi Pete,

When you check the processes on the system after it has been active
for a few weeks, do you find any "defunct" processes or runaway PIDs
that have not terminated?

Steve

1. Need to increase number number of waitstates...

I have been receiving...

gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

And, when I disabled my cache memory, I was able to compile without
receiving the error.  In order to fix this, I need to increase the
number of waitstates in bios.  I have been unable to find an option
that allows me to do this.  I have...

Packard Bell Legend 100CD
Pentium, 60 MHz
IDE Hard Drive (420 MB)
8 MB RAM

AMIBIOS (C)1992 American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version 1.00.03.BC03

When I enter bios these are the options I am given...

STANDARD CMOS SETUP
ADVANCED CMOS SETUP
PERIPHERAL MANAGEMENT SETUP
CONFIGURE WITH BIOS DEFAULTS
CONFIGURE WITH POWER-ON DEFAULTS
CHANGE PASSWORD
WRITE TO CMOS AND EXIT
DO WRITE TO CMOS AND EXIT

Advanced cmos setup is where I disabled cache memory.  Someone told me
that he changed the number of waitstates in Advanced Chipset Setup, but
I do not have that option.

If anyone knows how I can change the number of waitstates, please let me
know.  Or, if you can tell me what other newsgroups I could post this
question to...

Thanks in advance,

Mike Tayter

2. Possible to use Kickstart to install rh7.2 on a notebook?

3. Increasing pts entries

4. Mandrake 8 horror.

5. Wrong permissions for /dev/pts/0 and /dev/pts/1

6. screensaver weirdness

7. dump pts output to other pts

8. Question about file permissions - sharing data files between multiple users

9. Why all the pts/0, pts/1, ... on RedHat 7.1 ?

10. number of pts

11. tty-dev-number <-> /dev/pts

12. Number of pts

13. Apache httpd child keep increasing