Suggestions for cheap RS/6000 for AIX experimentation?

Suggestions for cheap RS/6000 for AIX experimentation?

Post by JARA » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking for info on the most inexpensive used RS/6000 model one can
purchase these days, which still is supported under the most recent
versions of AIX.   I don't need anything but for it to be a box which
supports a serial console and SCSI disks (hopefully IBM's hardware isn't
too picky about drive makes/models -- I'm not very experienced with the
IBM hardware yet).

Speed is not an issue.  It can be slow as molasses in January on the
northermost boundary of the Yukon.  You're talking to guy who runs
MicroVAX II's at home for self-amu*t.  It just has to be cheap, like a
few hundred dollars cheap, like defintely less than $800US cheap... but
cheaper than that is better.

Followups can be posted here if you don't think it's waste of bandwidth,
or feel free to e-mail me.  Feedback from used equipment vendors is
welcome, but it's probably only appropriate for you to send me information
via e-mail.

-brian.  (On an unrelated note, anyone know where I can get an IBM RT PC?)
--
---
Brian "JARAI" Chase | http://www.veryComputer.com/~bdc/ | VAXZilla LIVES!!!

Post by Jerald H. Mathew » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: I'm looking for info on the most inexpensive used RS/6000 model one can
: purchase these days, which still is supported under the most recent
: versions of AIX.   I don't need anything but for it to be a box which
: supports a serial console and SCSI disks (hopefully IBM's hardware isn't
: too picky about drive makes/models -- I'm not very experienced with the
: IBM hardware yet).

Used RS/6000 vendors are junking 520s. You can pick one up for the
shipping costs. You will have to add memory and a disk drive. 1/4 inch
tape drives are a bargain but slow, slow, slow. For a console use any
PC with VT100 terminal emulation.

320H is the better deal. Less shipping charges, but less expandable.

Remember the hardware is real picky about booting from CD-ROM and Tape.
It has to be IBM or have special on board ROM to boot. Exabyte sells
ROMs for their tape drives that make the tape drive bootable. For CD-ROMs
the 520 is the better deal since the internal 1x IBM CD-ROM are cheap.
They have a problem booting AIX 4.3 though.

Good Luck.

--
Regards,
Jerry M.

Suggestions for cheap RS/6000 for AIX experimentation?

Post by Steve Becke » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Look around for an old IBM RS/6000 320 machine.  They are no longer in
production, and they ARE rather slow (for a unix box), but I think you will
have just what you need.
Steve Becker

> I'm looking for info on the most inexpensive used RS/6000 model one can
> purchase these days, which still is supported under the most recent
> versions of AIX.   I don't need anything but for it to be a box which
> supports a serial console and SCSI disks (hopefully IBM's hardware isn't
> too picky about drive makes/models -- I'm not very experienced with the
> IBM hardware yet).

> Speed is not an issue.  It can be slow as molasses in January on the
> northermost boundary of the Yukon.  You're talking to guy who runs
> MicroVAX II's at home for self-amu*t.  It just has to be cheap, like a
> few hundred dollars cheap, like defintely less than $800US cheap... but
> cheaper than that is better.

> Followups can be posted here if you don't think it's waste of bandwidth,
> or feel free to e-mail me.  Feedback from used equipment vendors is
> welcome, but it's probably only appropriate for you to send me information
> via e-mail.

> -brian.  (On an unrelated note, anyone know where I can get an IBM RT PC?)
> --
> ---
> Brian "JARAI" Chase | http://www.veryComputer.com/~bdc/ | VAXZilla LIVES!!!

--
Stephen L Becker
Technical Analyst

1. RS/6000 error msgs (Was: Re: RS/6000 survey - will post summary)

[LANG=En_US]  ksh: kjj: 0403-016 Cannot find or open the file.
[LANG=C]      ksh: kjj: cannot open

[LANG=En_US]  0506-764 ln: /tmp: Cannot use this command with a directory.
[LANG=C]      ln : </tmp> directory

 Canonicalizing all the error msgs by assigning them numbers and more
verbose explanations isn't such a bad idea, but it will hardly make
the system usable by secretaries. It does nothing to prevent an
accidental "rm *" or hide the details of the filesystem from the user.
Secretaries will run Motif and shrink-wrapped applications in
which case they will probably never [want to] use Unix shells. And they
shouldn't need to.
 The big gain here will be made by IBM SEs who will now be able to
look up customers' complaints by the error number.

    I haven't heard about IBM shipping *anything* on a Powerstation
yet. You can buy SunOS 4.1 *today* which is B2 certified.
And AT&T is advertising System V/MLS which is B1
certified -- I don't know if it's shipping yet.
    If security is important to you, you sure don't want to go with
a measly C2 rated system.

      ---Jason
-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055

UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  the American spirit and continues to
BIX     : jlevitt                     |  show us the way to follow our dreams."
                                      |             -Ronald Reagan [1990]

2. Need addresses for Source Code Licences (BSD4.3 and Sys V)

3. Fonts for InfoExplorer on RS/6000 (was: Re: Font problems on RS/6000 running X11R5)

4. Configuring RH 5.1 IMAP server

5. Cheap RS/6000 Model 250's available

6. RedHat 5.1 / 5.2 / 6.0 - development queries

7. Looking for cheap RS/6000?

8. Public Domain SMTP & POP3 Servers ??

9. Need cheap used RS/6000 source

10. No load average on the RS/6000 AIX

11. Purify equivalent on AIX RS/6000

12. Netfax on RS/6000 (AIX 3.2): any experience?