Proces hang

Post by Rohith Rajagopa » Wed, 09 May 2001 23:47:59

Hi,
I have a perl script from which I first fork out a process and then consequently setsid() it. Afterwards, the perl script keeps running, checking the log written to by the forked out process, and taking actions based on it. The forked out process is a server process that is supposed to listen on a specified port, and act on client requests on that port.

Now, at times, I have a situation where the terminal where the script is running just hangs. No amount of interrupts or  kill -9 from other terminals bring this terminal back to life, or get the processes responding again. More surprisingly, a netstat check on the port where the *.LISTEN from the server process is to be listening doesn't seem to be showing any process occupying this port, eventhough a ps check shows the server process to be running! This behaviour occurs entirely at random too!

Any clues on what is going on here? Could this be happening because of some system limitation on the AIX box, such as load on the machine, max number of open filehandles etc? What is the equivalent of sysinfo for AIX, if I wanted to check?

Thanks in advance.

regards,
Rohit.

Proces hang

Post by aix » Thu, 10 May 2001 03:06:37

> Hi,I have a perl script from which I first fork out a process and then
> consequently setsid() it. Afterwards, the perl script keeps running,
> checking the log written to by the forked out process, and taking
> actions based on it. The forked out process is a server process that
> is supposed to listen on a specified port, and act on client requests
> on that port. Now, at times, I have a situation where the terminal
> where the script is running just hangs. No amount of interrupts or
> kill -9 from other terminals bring this terminal back to life, or get
> the processes responding again. More surprisingly, a netstat check on
> the port where the *.LISTEN from the server process is to be listening
> doesn't seem to be showing any process occupying this port, eventhough
> a ps check shows the server process to be running! This behaviour
> occurs entirely at random too! Any clues on what is going on here?
> Could this be happening because of some system limitation on the AIX
> box, such as load on the machine, max number of open filehandles etc?
> What is the equivalent of sysinfo for AIX, if I wanted to
> check? Thanks in advance. regards,Rohit.

does ps show the PPID of the process to be '1'

Proces hang

Post by Rohith Rajagopa » Thu, 10 May 2001 17:32:10

Thank you for your quick response.
Yes, It does. The setsid() is supposed to do this, right? What could the problem be?
Regards,
Rohit

1. hlt -instruction hangs boot proces

Hi!

When booting Linux from disk I get (about) the folllowing msg:
(left out some dots here and there)

Uncompressing OK
Linux version 2.2.10
Detected 90005261 hz Processor
Console...
35.84 bogoMIPS
Memory: 65536k
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
CPU: Intel Pentium 75 - 200 stepping 04
Checking 387/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting
Checking 'hlt' instruction...

at this point the computer hangs and I have to reboot
the machine. ctrl-alt-del does not invoke a reboot.

the machine is a ibm pc server 500 and is equiped
with a scsi hd, memory and a cd-rom drive (scsi).
(I can't boot with a bootable cd).

What are my options?

thanx,
och

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. SCCS & Y2K - century as :0

3. Hang, Hang, Hangs. No hopes!

4. Open source hardware

5. Input/Output error at the inslal proces 6.2

6. All Linux users are stupid! WAS - Linux Pathetic Toy

7. Why proces in D state (ps)...

8. patch 111713 needed

9. How can I set the proces name for ps listings?

10. Finding proces using specified TCP port

11. user proces cloaking

12. Howto retrieve a pid by proces name in C?

13. getting hold of the right proces