4.3.3 Update CD

Post by terramar.. » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:40:19

Recently upgraded a server to 4.3.3.  After I was done with that I
followed IBM's strong suggestion of applying the update cd using smit
update_all.  Big Mistake.  After that I had no more operating system
and had to restore from a previous level backup tape.  When I tried
rebooting after applying the update cd I was missing tons of bos.rte
filesets and the tape drive went flakey.  I researched this and found a
patch on the APAR site bos.rte.libpthreads.4.3.3.3.bff that supposedly
fixes this.  Duh, how can you apply a patch when your system won't even
boot up.  This is the second time this has happened using that update
cd.  Has anyone else had this same problem?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

4.3.3 Update CD

Post by Joe Forlingier » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 23:29:24

I cannot count the number of updates to 4.3.3 from 4.2.x and 4.3.x I have
done from stand alone 6000s to Sp nodes and I have never had this problem.
You mention that this has happened twice using "that update cd".  Do you
mean the same physical cd?  If so, it might be time to use it as a practice
target.

Joe

--
Joseph Forlingieri
Open Systems Consultant

4.3.3 Update CD

Post by Andrew Padle » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 18:12:27

The trick I always use when updating from an older version to a newer
version is as follows:

If you have go to maintenance mode and do an update, i.e. from 4.2.1 to
4.3.3 do this and reboot.

Once the AIX log-in screen comes up, go to a command prompt i.e. don't log
in using CDE but go to a command prompt and log in as root.

Run the smitty update_all with the AIX 4.3.3 (or whatever you are updating
to) CD's. The reason for this is that I believe some of the older OS i.e.
going from 4.1.5 to 4.3.3, only one CD is read, but there may be updates on
all four for the AIX 4.3.3 CD's that you need. Doing this makes sure that
all four CD's are checked and the software on your machine is  updated.

Once this is done, reboot then smitty update_all from the Bonus Pack CD and
the 'Update-CD'. This will make sure that all UMS and other bits you may
have had on your system are also updated to the latest levels.

This usually works for me.

Andy

> I cannot count the number of updates to 4.3.3 from 4.2.x and 4.3.x I have
> done from stand alone 6000s to Sp nodes and I have never had this problem.
> You mention that this has happened twice using "that update cd".  Do you
> mean the same physical cd?  If so, it might be time to use it as a
practice
> target.

> Joe

> > Recently upgraded a server to 4.3.3.  After I was done with that I
> > followed IBM's strong suggestion of applying the update cd using smit
> > update_all.  Big Mistake.  After that I had no more operating system
> > and had to restore from a previous level backup tape.  When I tried
> > rebooting after applying the update cd I was missing tons of bos.rte
> > filesets and the tape drive went flakey.  I researched this and found a
> > patch on the APAR site bos.rte.libpthreads.4.3.3.3.bff that supposedly
> > fixes this.  Duh, how can you apply a patch when your system won't even
> > boot up.  This is the second time this has happened using that update
> > cd.  Has anyone else had this same problem?

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> --
> Joseph Forlingieri
> Open Systems Consultant
> Lighthouse Computer Systems Inc.

4.3.3 Update CD

Post by Stefan Llabre » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 00:15:23

We had similary, but not the same problems when upgrading to 4.3.3
The update worked fine, till the libpthread get installed.
From that point several errors occured during the install and we
had to reinstall the os from a mksysb.
All machines tested showed this behaviour (UP and MP).

The problem was in late 1999 so it should be fixed. Im at home
so that is all information i can give you now.

Stefan...

> Recently upgraded a server to 4.3.3.  After I was done with that I
> followed IBM's strong suggestion of applying the update cd using smit
> update_all.  Big Mistake.  After that I had no more operating system
> and had to restore from a previous level backup tape.  When I tried
> rebooting after applying the update cd I was missing tons of bos.rte
> filesets and the tape drive went flakey.  I researched this and found a
> patch on the APAR site bos.rte.libpthreads.4.3.3.3.bff that supposedly
> fixes this.  Duh, how can you apply a patch when your system won't even
> boot up.  This is the second time this has happened using that update
> cd.  Has anyone else had this same problem?

1. Updated CD-Writing HOWTO?

I recently bought an HP CD-Writer 8100 ATAPI drive.  The CdWriting howto
I find everywhere online seems to deal only with old kernels.  I am
using RedHat 6 which, I believe, has kernel 2.2.  The HOWTOs say "if
you're using a kernel before xxx, do this.  If you're using a later
kernel, don't worry about it."  Can somebody give specific instructions
for what needs to be done to use an ATAPI CDR drive with kernel 2.2?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Compiling XBoard 3.0 Under Linux

3. Red Hat 7 Update CD installer: illegal instruction

4. how to increase the swap size

5. 2.4: Updates CD & Custom Jumpstart. How?

6. how to set disk quotas in raid for linux

8. Linux Partition

9. 2.2.1 Release CD and updating via CTM?

10. Red Hat CD-R/FAT-32 installation page updated

11. Update the install CDs with the latest patches

12. Updated: Solaris 9 corrupt installation CD-ROM?

13. Linux CD update