change root password

Post by Wei » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi gurus:
I ran into an odd situation on a RS/6000 runing AIX 4.3 and here
is the detail:
1. log in under root
2. issue the command passwd
3. type in new password
4. type in new password again
5. log off the system

When I tried to log back to the system, it won't take the new
root password.  I have changed root passsword before several
times.  This is the first time I ran into a problem.
The only thing I can think about is that I may accidently typed
in one extra character the first time.  However, if this is true
then the password won't be changed because the verification
would fail (the second time I type in the new password).
what could be wrong?
by the way, if I cannot get back the root password, is there
anything I can do besides restore the system?
thanks in advance for your help.

change root password

Post by Mason » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:Wei wrote...

>Hi gurus:
>I ran into an odd situation on a RS/6000 runing AIX 4.3 and here
>is the detail:
>1. log in under root

How did you login to root?
  su root
  OR
  su - root

If you "su root" and type passwd, you would change your own password,
not the root's password.

Quote:>2. issue the command passwd
>3. type in new password
>4. type in new password again
>5. log off the system

>When I tried to log back to the system, it won't take the new
>root password.  I have changed root passsword before several
>times.  This is the first time I ran into a problem.
>The only thing I can think about is that I may accidently typed
>in one extra character the first time.  However, if this is true
>then the password won't be changed because the verification
>would fail (the second time I type in the new password).
>what could be wrong?
>by the way, if I cannot get back the root password, is there
>anything I can do besides restore the system?
>thanks in advance for your help.

change root password

You can reset the root password by bringing the system up in maintenance

Post by Ken Be » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

>Wei wrote...

>>Hi gurus:
>>I ran into an odd situation on a RS/6000 runing AIX 4.3 and here
>>is the detail:
>>1. log in under root

>How did you login to root?
>  su root
>  OR
>  su - root

>If you "su root" and type passwd, you would change your own password,
>not the root's password.

That is not true under any AIX I've used.  Either "su" or "su -"
followed by "passwd" attempt to change root's password.