X11R4 Xterm

Post by Wally Strzel » Mon, 06 May 1991 03:10:06

Howdy.... I just put up the X11R4 clients and am very happy with the
way the R4 xterm works over IBM's aixterm (Thank you Mr. Greening).  I
am still having one problem thou.  When I move the mouse out of the
window I loose the focus for that window.  Can someone tell me
where/how I can control the focus for the windows.  I would really
like it if the window focus for mwm was treated like twm treats them,
I don't like having to click on the window to use it.

Is twm working anywhere.... If so where can I get a copy of the
source/patch?

        Wally Strzelec
        Texas A&M University
        Unix System Administrator

These are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of
Texas A&M University or any living person.

X11R4 Xterm

Post by Steve DeJarne » Mon, 06 May 1991 16:09:28

>When I move the mouse out of the
>window I loose the focus for that window.  Can someone tell me
>where/how I can control the focus for the windows.  I would really
>like it if the window focus for mwm was treated like twm treats them,
>I don't like having to click on the window to use it.

        Well, I'm a little confused about which behavior you prefer here, so
here's how you get either one.  To make keyboard focus follow the mouse, add
this line to your .Xdefaults (this presumes you're using mwm, but you refer to
it above so I'll assume that's what you want):

        Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:        pointer

If you want input focus to remain with a window even after you've moved the
cursor out of that window (i.e. if you want focus changes to occur only after
explicitly clicking in a window) add the following to your .Xdefaults:

        Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:        explicit

Hope that helps.

IBM PSP Palo Alto               UUCP:     uunet!ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com!steve
(415) 855-3510                  IBM VNET: dejarnet at ausvmq
These opinions are my own.  I doubt IBM wants them.......

X11R4 Xterm

Post by Robert Landsparg » Tue, 07 May 1991 13:20:49

|> Howdy.... I just put up the X11R4 clients and am very happy with the
|> way the R4 xterm works over IBM's aixterm (Thank you Mr. Greening).  I
|> am still having one problem thou.  When I move the mouse out of the
|> window I loose the focus for that window.  Can someone tell me
|> where/how I can control the focus for the windows.  I would really
|> like it if the window focus for mwm was treated like twm treats them,
|> I don't like having to click on the window to use it.

In your .Xdefaults file (assuming that is the name that you use)
add the line:

*keyboardFocusPolicy:   pointer

This will cause the focus to follow the pointer in mwm.

|> Is twm working anywhere.... If so where can I get a copy of the
|> source/patch?

Currently I am running tvtwm, but have twm working.  Send mail to me and
I'll forward it to the person who installed X on our IBM RISC/6000.

                                                Bob

--

USER:           Can I get a list of *all* the unix commands?
CONSULTANT:     man -k - | lpr -

| Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI 49931 (906) 487-2110
| The above comments do not always represent those of my employer.
+

1. Yet another problem with X11R4 xterm

I am having yet another problem with the X11R4 dist. of xterm compiled
under 3005 on our RS6000.  The problem is that the menus that are supposed
to pop up when hitting ctrl-<some mouse button> are all messed up.  More
specifically, the menus are *way* to small.  I hardly get even 1 of the
options in any of the menus that I bring up.

anyone know about this, and does anyone have any fix for this?

--
-Mark Allender
-University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign

2. ftape for Ditto3200 w/Dash

3. X11r4 xterm problem

4. strings libSDtMail.so.2

5. Using SMIT in X11R4 xterms. A small hint 8-)

6. Making boot-floppy w/ ramdisk as root

7. pasting from xterm to Netscape kills xterm

8. How do I autoset "TERM=xterm" for xterms?

9. xterm, run a process, keep xterm open

10. xterm: how to open a new xterm and run telnet

11. xterm, visualbell off, slooowwww xterm flash

12. xterm &, run a setup script, xterm won't stay on