DHCP and DNS server

Post by Daniel C » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

1. Does aix 4.1.4 come with a DHCP server like NT?
2. If it doesn't how much does it cost?
3. Will the dhcp server allow you to integrate it with you DNS server to    support dynamic
updates and if it will integrate thin how do you configure it to work.

Problem:
I am currently running a RS/6000 and AIX 4.1.4 as a nameserver.  I am running DHCP on a NT 3.51
machine and have some perl programs that automatically ftp down a report several times a day from
the NT to the RS/6000.  I parse these reports out and restart the named.  This gives forward and
reverse lookup of win95 clients without using the Microsoft centric WINS server that does not yet
support reverse arpa lookup.

What I really want?
I want to run the DHCP server and DNS server on the RS/6000.  I want to have dynamic updates when
people get a new lease from the DHCP server.  Is this possible without buying someones integrated
database package for dns and dhcp.  What modifications must be done to the dhcp server portion of
the RS/6000 to let it make dynamic updates to the named.

DHCP and DNS server

Post by Castor » Thu, 07 Nov 1996 04:00:00

    Daniel> 1. Does aix 4.1.4 come with a DHCP server like NT?  2. If
    Daniel> it doesn't how much does it cost?  3. Will the dhcp server
    Daniel> allow you to integrate it with you DNS server to support
    Daniel> dynamic updates and if it will integrate thin how do you
    Daniel> configure it to work.

    Daniel> Problem: I am currently running a RS/6000 and AIX 4.1.4 as
    Daniel> a nameserver.  I am running DHCP on a NT 3.51 machine and
    Daniel> have some perl programs that automatically ftp down a
    Daniel> report several times a day from the NT to the RS/6000.  I
    Daniel> parse these reports out and restart the named.  This gives
    Daniel> forward and reverse lookup of win95 clients without using
    Daniel> the Microsoft centric WINS server that does not yet
    Daniel> support reverse arpa lookup.

You should be able to do this with with the dhcp server that
comes with AIX 4.1.4.

You must have the AIX "server" package, (i.e. have access to bos.net.tcp.server).

Before you start configuring things, you want to get the
IBM faxback notes about getting started, and also get the latest set of
patches from ftp://service.software.ibm.com.
--

The Kernel Group: Tools & Consulting for AIX since 1990       http://tkg.com/

DHCP and DNS server

Post by Nick Colakov » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>1. Does aix 4.1.4 come with a DHCP server like NT?
>2. If it doesn't how much does it cost?
>3. Will the dhcp server allow you to integrate it with you DNS server to    support dynamic
>updates and if it will integrate thin how do you configure it to work.

>Problem:
>I am currently running a RS/6000 and AIX 4.1.4 as a nameserver.  I am running DHCP on a NT 3.51
>machine and have some perl programs that automatically ftp down a report several times a day from
>the NT to the RS/6000.  I parse these reports out and restart the named.  This gives forward and
>reverse lookup of win95 clients without using the Microsoft centric WINS server that does not yet
>support reverse arpa lookup.

>What I really want?
>I want to run the DHCP server and DNS server on the RS/6000.  I want to have dynamic updates when
>people get a new lease from the DHCP server.  Is this possible without buying someones integrated
>database package for dns and dhcp.  What modifications must be done to the dhcp server portion of
>the RS/6000 to let it make dynamic updates to the named.

Yes.   4.1.4 includes a DHCP server.   It even includes a hook to
recompile the named forward and reverse lookup tables.   We personally
use the DHCP server in a static mode (ie, we assign IP's based on a
specific MAC address) so we do not need feature.   The DHCP server
also includes support of BOOTP clients (in our case HP JetDirect
Printers).
   The only real problem I encountered with the AIX DHCP server is
that when a specific client entry  is changed to reflect a new MAC
address (ie a machine replacement or upgrade to a new NIC) the DHCP
server did not pickup the change when the you refreshed the server.
My only recourse was to stop the DHCP server (stopsrc -s dhcpsd) and
delete the client reservation database files (dhcpsd.ar and
dhcpsd.cr).   Then I would restart the server.  This caused the
obvious problem of clients having their IP reservation expire early.
   This bug was supposed to be fixed with the latest patch level.   I
haven't had tiime to verifiy.
  Another problem that affected me was the while you can define
default IP settings for specific subnets.  For example for subnet
aa.bb.cc.dd I can supposedly setup the DNS server, Subnet Mask, etc.
for all nodes in the subnet.   The problem is that I doesn't work.
It merrily ignores the IP settings for the subnet (possibly because we
are using DHCP more as a BOOTP static IP assignment service).  We
found that the IP settings worked for global assignments and client
specific assignments.

1. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

Hi,

I'm trying to add some linux (redhat 9.0, kernel 2.4.20-8) boxes to our
Windows 2003 domain.
The dhcp server is running fine, and the linux clients are getting leases.
However they are not
getting added to the dns forward lookup zone.

The dhcp server is set up to register *all* client leases in the dns, even
for those who do not request so.

The dns server is set up to allow both secure & insecure updates.

I've tried googling for a solution and have tried:
1) Adding DHCP_HOSTNAME & HOSTNAME to the /etc/sysconfig/network
configuration file.
2) Modifying the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup script replacing
<snip>
 if [ -n "${DYNCONFIG}" ]; then
        PUMPARGS=$PUMPARGS
        DHCPCDARGS="$DHCPCDARGS -n"
        if [ -n "${DHCP_HOSTNAME}" ]; then
           PUMPARGS="-h ${DHCP_HOSTNAME}"
           DHCPCDARGS="-h ${DHCP_HOSTNAME}"
</snip>
with
<snip>
 if [ -n "${DYNCONFIG}" ]; then
        PUMPARGS=$PUMPARGS
        DHCPCDARGS="$DHCPCDARGS -n"
        if [ -n "${DHCP_HOSTNAME}" ]; then
           PUMPARGS="--win-client-ident -h ${DHCP_HOSTNAME}"
           DHCPCDARGS="-h ${DHCP_HOSTNAME}"
</snip>
3) Using redhats GUI network configuration tool to set the values  - which I
believe more or less
    amounts to 1).

Still no luck. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very thankful to
hear from them.

Regards

Mads Ravn

2. Auto booting to DOS

3. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

4. Sun Update Connection (aka patch management)

5. ? for a good script writer: can you do logical 'or' greps on the same stdio stream?

6. Update DNS server from DHCP server

7. Kernel 2.2.13 compile errors

8. if DNS server was Windows based what DNS server software is avail?

9. NT dns server request to my LINUX dns server time out

10. using DNS server(named) and external dns server.

11. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???

12. How to get DHCP to update two primary DNS servers?