Backing Up Unix File??

Post by Theepre » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I was recently thrown into this UNIX world and am completely lost,
hoping you all here can help me survive.

Todays question is about backing up files, my IBM/RSC6000 with AIX has
several CAD models that I need to back-up but machine has no burner or
tape drive, can I upload to my PC using CuteFTP and then back-up to CD
burner from there??? something about binary i need to do??

2nd question:Is it possible to load Netscape to this machine??
I visited NetscapeFTP, but they dont support AIX.
any other browser you can reccomend??

Backing Up Unix File??

Post by Surendra Kuma » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
  I can answer the second question. Actually you can run netscape on RS6000
machines. We have
been doing this for quite a long time. Our Machine has AIX 4.3.3 and we are
running netscape 4.61 and \
4.7. Internet Explorer is also available for AIX

-Surendra

Quote:> I was recently thrown into this UNIX world and am completely lost,
> hoping you all here can help me survive.

> Todays question is about backing up files, my IBM/RSC6000 with AIX has
> several CAD models that I need to back-up but machine has no burner or
> tape drive, can I upload to my PC using CuteFTP and then back-up to CD
> burner from there??? something about binary i need to do??

> 2nd question:Is it possible to load Netscape to this machine??
> I visited NetscapeFTP, but they dont support AIX.
> any other browser you can reccomend??

*

Backing Up Unix File??

Post by rbfit.. » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

CuteFTP should do the trick, I believe it uses binary mode transfer
automatically - although you should always test your backup procedures
by restoring the backed up files to another (test) filesystem and see if
you can read them properly.

Yes, you can run netscape browser (as well as webserver) on AIX no
problem.

Quote:> I was recently thrown into this UNIX world and am completely lost,
> hoping you all here can help me survive.

> Todays question is about backing up files, my IBM/RSC6000 with AIX has
> several CAD models that I need to back-up but machine has no burner or
> tape drive, can I upload to my PC using CuteFTP and then back-up to CD
> burner from there??? something about binary i need to do??

> 2nd question:Is it possible to load Netscape to this machine??
> I visited NetscapeFTP, but they dont support AIX.
> any other browser you can reccomend??

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. APC USB ups, Back-UPS ES series, 2.5.68

(Please cc: me on reply)

I'm wanting to get this new toy up and running.  I've installed apcupsd,
but it doesn't want to work well with my kernel (2.5.68) or somewhat.

When apcupsd tries to open the hiddev, open() gets an ENODEV.  Is
apcupsd doing something wrong or is 2.5.68 doing something wrong?

~# dmesg
hub 1-0:0: debounce: port 1: delay 100ms stable 4 status 0x301
hub 1-0:0: new USB device on port 1, assigned address 4
usb 1-1: new device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
usb 1-1: Product: Back-UPS ES 350 FW:800.e3.D USB FW:e3
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: APC
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: AB0238241677
usb 1-1: usb_new_device - registering interface 1-1:0
hid 1-1:0: usb_device_probe
hid 1-1:0: usb_device_probe - got id
drivers/usb/core/file.c: asking for 1 minors, starting at 96
drivers/usb/core/file.c: found a minor chunk free, starting at 96
hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [APC Back-UPS ES 350 FW:800.e3.D USB
FW:e3] on usb-00:07.2-1

~# ls -l /dev/usb/hid
total 0
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     180, 192 Dec 31  1969 hiddev96
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     180, 193 Dec 31  1969 hiddev97

~# strace -f apcupsd (trimmed)
[...]
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev95", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev96", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev97", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev98", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
write(2, "Couldn\'t find UPS device or no p"..., 43Couldn't find UPS
device or no permission.
) = 43
_exit(1)                                = ?

ref: http://www.sibbald.com/apcupsd/manual/usb.html
apcupsd version: 3.10.5
Linux kernel: 2.5.68

David
p.s. apcupsd needs patched to handle hiddev from 96 on (minor allocated by kernel)

-

2. Question about nat and real ips behind firewall

3. UPS Woes (APC Back-UPS Pro)

4. Linux for Windows95 (or vice versa!)

5. APC Back-UPS 400, updated howto for UPS?

6. PD implementation of RFC 931?

7. APC Back-UPS 400 and its UNIX cable

8. klogd eating all cpu power

9. How to Copy Unix application file to Macintosh and back to Unix box?

10. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

11. deleted files back in unix.

12. Utility to back up Win95 files on a unix tape drive

13. Backing up multiple large DB files in UNIX environment