tar -tvf /dev/rmt0

Post by Friedhelm Neye » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi

after writing ~ 4GB to a tape, I test the archive with  tar -tvf
/dev/rmt0
Is this test reliable, meaning can I be sure, the written archive is
really correct on the tape ?

Friedhelm

tar -tvf /dev/rmt0

Post by soncha.. » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

during tar you can create log too

tar -cvf /dev/rmt0 /filesys > $home/backup.log

after backup cat the log file to see every thing happened ok.

I think I am right...
Pls correct me if not

sonchacan

Quote:> Hi

> after writing ~ 4GB to a tape, I test the archive with  tar -tvf
> /dev/rmt0
> Is this test reliable, meaning can I be sure, the written archive is
> really correct on the tape ?

> Friedhelm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

tar -tvf /dev/rmt0

Post by Greg » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

The only way to be sure is to restore the tape.

> during tar you can create log too

> tar -cvf /dev/rmt0 /filesys > $home/backup.log

> after backup cat the log file to see every thing happened ok.

> I think I am right...
> Pls correct me if not

> sonchacan

> > Hi

> > after writing ~ 4GB to a tape, I test the archive with  tar -tvf
> > /dev/rmt0
> > Is this test reliable, meaning can I be sure, the written archive is
> > really correct on the tape ?

> > Friedhelm

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

tar -tvf /dev/rmt0

Post by bill mora » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:48:22

> Hi

> after writing ~ 4GB to a tape, I test the archive with  tar -tvf
> /dev/rmt0
> Is this test reliable, meaning can I be sure, the written archive is
> really correct on the tape ?

> Friedhelm

as a warning I have a 20/40 8mm tape that does a tar -tvf fine  but wont do a
tar -xvf at all.........................

tar -tvf /dev/rmt0

Post by Joerg Brueh » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi !

> > Hi

> > after writing ~ 4GB to a tape, I test the archive with  tar -tvf
> > /dev/rmt0
> > Is this test reliable, meaning can I be sure, the written archive is
> > really correct on the tape ?

> > Friedhelm

> as a warning I have a 20/40 8mm tape that does a tar -tvf fine  but wont do a
> tar -xvf at all.........................

AFAIK, the GNU version of "tar" does have an option to do proof-reading
the contents and compare it with the files on disk - very useful !

(An item on my wishlist - Christmas is coming ;-) )

Regards,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

tar -tvf /dev/rmt0

Post by bo » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

The t parameter is just a listing, no chance of expecting it to
'test' the file, some versions may, but I haven't tried.

One method is of course to restore the files and then diff them with
the originals.

Since tar has never (ever) bailed on me on any O/S and I've been
around, you can just dd if=/dev/rmt0 of=/dev/null

You may want to set the block size to a multiple of the block
size reported by mt -f /dev/rmt0 status

brett

says...

Quote:> Hi

> after writing ~ 4GB to a tape, I test the archive with  tar -tvf
> /dev/rmt0
> Is this test reliable, meaning can I be sure, the written archive is
> really correct on the tape ?

> Friedhelm

tar -tvf /dev/rmt0

Post by Ramesh Veeramall » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 06:38:08

If you are writting to the tape using "tar" you should be able to list
it with
tat -tvf with out any problem .

- RV

> Hi

> after writing ~ 4GB to a tape, I test the archive with  tar -tvf
> /dev/rmt0
> Is this test reliable, meaning can I be sure, the written archive is
> really correct on the tape ?

> Friedhelm

1. rmt0.1 rmt0.2 rmt0.3 ???

Hello,
a question about tape devices:
How do I find out which one of my several tape devices rmt0.# is the one
with biggest compression?
(3590 tape devices, AIX 4.3.1)

Thank you for any hint.
Regards, Igor

2. If-then-else in a makefile

3. Q: GNU TAR and /dev/rmt0

4. pcm works, but cdplayer failed.

5. tar: can't open /dev/rmt0 ???

6. QT Library

7. tar /dev/rmt0 error

8. finger dosen't work

9. GNU TAR and /dev/rmt0

10. tar xvf /dev/rmt0 file.* - how does it work?

11. Tar can't open /dev/rmt0, but it's in there!

12. TAR: can't find device /dev/rmt0