Queue Accounting on 3.1.5

Post by Konrad Haeden » Thu, 05 Sep 1991 21:06:10

Has anybody succeeded in doing queue accounting on 3.1.5 ?
I have tried with

           acctfile = /usr/adm/qacct

in /usr/lpd/qconfig for all queues of interest, with /usr/adm/qacct existing
when qdaemon was started, and I have tried all ( I hope) reasonable file
owners for the qacct file, to the only effect that qacct stays empty.

Any suggestions ?

Institute of Physical Chemistry
University of Berne
Switzerland

Queue Accounting on 3.1.5

Post by Graeme Moff » Fri, 13 Sep 1991 19:30:56

>Has anybody succeeded in doing queue accounting on 3.1.5 ?
>I have tried with
>           acctfile = /usr/adm/qacct
>in /usr/lpd/qconfig for all queues of interest, with /usr/adm/qacct existing
>when qdaemon was started, and I have tried all ( I hope) reasonable file
>owners for the qacct file, to the only effect that qacct stays empty.

My experiences, with uniquely named files for different printers:
With lines-per-page at 66, page use info was added to the files.
When I changed the virtual printer characteristics to 0 lines-per-page,
nothing was added. (Makes sense, if you don't know how many lines to a page,
you can't count the pages)
0 l-p-p means let the printer do its own pagination

--

Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits
School of Engineering,    Ph: +64-9-737-999 x8384 /  But we waste time,

1. printer accounting with remote queues

hello,

i need to setup printer accounting. i have 2 hp890c's connected to the
local machine and another hp6p on a remote queue.

the problem is that when my filter is invoked for the hp6p, the
arguments (username, hostname etc) are not passed. using the same filter
for the local printer, i find they are passed.

any suggestions as to how i can get lpd to pass the username to my
filter for remote printer queues?

please reply via email

graeme

Graeme Pyle                                Computer Science Department

Tel: +27-12-420-3617                       Pretoria
http://www.cs.up.ac.za/~gpyle              South Africa

[ printcap < 1K ]
# LPRng-3.4.1
# Installed by Charl Brits
# Please see /usr/local/package/doc/LPRng-3.4.1 for more information
ps

        :if=/var/lp/filters/ifhp -Tpostscript=on
        :of=/var/lp/filters/ofhp
text

        :of=/var/lp/filters/lpf
testhp

printer
        :server
        :lp=137.215.166.42%9100
        :cm=HP Laserjet 4M Plus
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
        :af=/var/lp/logs/acc
        :lf=/var/lp/logs/lp.log
        :mx#0
        :sh

2. OSR5.0.4 & Netscape 3.01gold preference

3. Print queue accounting

4. Linux vs. Win95...Your grammar sucks, Smarty. STOP THE DEBATE ALREADY!

5. Print Queue Accounting

6. ICMP time exceeded DNAT info leak ? (fwd)

7. Account Handler Process Queue

8. AfterStep Installation

9. Accounting for printer queue under AIX 4.2

10. point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

11. Remote print queue/queue device definitions

12. Queuing in Linux similar to queue in Microsoft MSMQ or IBM MQ

13. how to find time spent in ready queue and wait queue ?