Very simple sofware installation quesiton

Very simple sofware installation quesiton

Post by Bern » Thu, 16 May 2002 07:29:00

I know this is a very basic question but I seem to have great difficulty
finding the answer. Recently I upgraded our TSM server. It seemed to go well
enough but I did have problems with the help format in the line mode access to
TSM.
I then logged a call with IBM and they said to install the The three bff files:
IP22386.bff  tivoli.tsm.msg.en_US.webhelp
IP22388.bff  tivoli.tsm.server.com
IP22390.bff  tivoli.tsm.server.webadmin

I downloaded the software and got the backup file sets but when I go to install
them using smit, I only get the option of installing the tivoli.tsm.server.com
file tivoli.tsm.server.com  which is from the IP2388.bff. I looked in the .toc
file and the others were there but they don't come up as options.

I would really appreciate any help on this as it is driving me nuts trying to
figure out what is going on an why it is I don't see all the software to
install through smit?

Thanks in advance.
Bernie.

Very simple sofware installation quesiton

Post by Le » Thu, 16 May 2002 17:28:37

bernie wrote ...

Quote:> I know this is a very basic question but I seem to have great difficulty
> finding the answer. Recently I upgraded our TSM server. It seemed to go well
> enough but I did have problems with the help format in the line mode access to
> TSM.
> I then logged a call with IBM and they said to install the The three bff files:
> IP22386.bff  tivoli.tsm.msg.en_US.webhelp
> IP22388.bff  tivoli.tsm.server.com
> IP22390.bff  tivoli.tsm.server.webadmin

> I downloaded the software and got the backup file sets but when I go to install
> them using smit, I only get the option of installing the tivoli.tsm.server.com
> file tivoli.tsm.server.com  which is from the IP2388.bff. I looked in the .toc
> file and the others were there but they don't come up as options.

> I would really appreciate any help on this as it is driving me nuts trying to
> figure out what is going on an why it is I don't see all the software to
> install through smit?

Whenever I've had similar problems like this, it has been cured by
deleting the .toc file and re-running smit.

Hope this helps!

Lee

Very simple sofware installation quesiton

Post by news.cis.dfn.d » Thu, 16 May 2002 20:47:49

man inutoc

Very simple sofware installation quesiton

Post by Bern » Fri, 17 May 2002 08:28:41

says...

Quote:

>man inutoc

Thanks for this but I don't think it is the answer. I have deleted the .toc
file several times and ran smit to regenerate. My reading suggestes that smit
runs inutoc and also, the .toc file did contain references to the software I
wanted to load.

I'll put a call in to IBM on this

Thanks again
Bernie.

Post by Clive Sparke » Fri, 17 May 2002 16:46:13

> says...

> >man inutoc

> Thanks for this but I don't think it is the answer. I have deleted the
> .toc
> file several times and ran smit to regenerate. My reading suggestes that
> smit
> runs inutoc and also, the .toc file did contain references to the
> software I
> wanted to load.

> I'll put a call in to IBM on this

> Thanks again
> Bernie.

Are you using 'smitty install_latest' or 'smitty install_all'?  What
does 'smitty list_media_sw' show?

--
Regards,
Clive

Very simple sofware installation quesiton

Post by Bern » Sat, 18 May 2002 09:36:26

I either use smitty install and take install from latest avialable rather than
install all. I just tried install all and it seems to give me everything I
want. Also when I run smitty list_media_sv it shows all the software.

Thanks for the help on this. I am still confused about what his going on here.
What causes the different listings?

Bernie.

Quote:

Post by Clive Sparke » Sat, 18 May 2002 16:50:24

> I either use smitty install and take install from latest avialable
> rather than
> install all. I just tried install all and it seems to give me everything
> want. Also when I run smitty list_media_sv it shows all the software.

> Thanks for the help on this. I am still confused about what his going on
> here.
> What causes the different listings?

> Bernie.

> >Are you using 'smitty install_latest' or 'smitty install_all'?  What
> >does 'smitty list_media_sw' show?

> >--
> >Regards,
> >Clive

The listings are tailored to the type of installation you are doing, ie
the smitty update_all list will only contain the updates for software
you already have installed.  The install_all list should contain all
software that's on the installation media.

tip: Take the time to go through the smitty menu/submenu/command screens
and hit f1 (for context help), f6 (for the actual command that will be
run) and f8 (for the smitty fastpath to the screen).  You quickly see
how well things are put together, how easy it is to understand, and why
smitty is still the best.

--
Regards,
Clive

Very simple sofware installation quesiton

Post by Bern » Tue, 21 May 2002 08:14:40

Thanks for this. It explains whats going on.
Bernie.

>> I either use smitty install and take install from latest avialable
>> rather than
>> install all. I just tried install all and it seems to give me everything
>> want. Also when I run smitty list_media_sv it shows all the software.

>> Thanks for the help on this. I am still confused about what his going on
>> here.
>> What causes the different listings?

>> Bernie.

>> >Are you using 'smitty install_latest' or 'smitty install_all'?  What
>> >does 'smitty list_media_sw' show?

>> >--
>> >Regards,
>> >Clive

>The listings are tailored to the type of installation you are doing, ie
>the smitty update_all list will only contain the updates for software
>you already have installed.  The install_all list should contain all
>software that's on the installation media.

>tip: Take the time to go through the smitty menu/submenu/command screens
>and hit f1 (for context help), f6 (for the actual command that will be
>run) and f8 (for the smitty fastpath to the screen).  You quickly see
>how well things are put together, how easy it is to understand, and why
>smitty is still the best.

>--
>Regards,
>Clive

1. Simple RedHat8 SECURITY quesiton?

My Goal is to temporarly lock up a new installation of ReHat.
The system is on an internet PUBLIC IP .. (scary..)
For now all I want is full access from one station in my lan.
Lets say this stations IP is 123.123.123.123.

hosts.allow has the following entry..
   ALL: 123.123.123.123
hosts.deny has the following entry..
   ALL: ALL

When executing  " nmap -sT -O localhost "
Below are the only ports open...
Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on lindo (127.0.0.1):
(The 1598 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
22/tcp     open        ssh
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
Remote OS guesses: Linux Kernel 2.4.0 - 2.5.20, Linux 2.5.25 or Gentoo 1.2
Linux 2.4.19 rc1-rc7)

Now I know from the 123... station I do have full access.
Is this station really save from the outside world.
To my knowledge all services from the outside should be stopped via
TCPwrappers ..

Am I safe???

2. PC had two NIC cards, installed Linux, connected eth0 to router, crashing in br_handle_frame?. why?

3. X & Slackware quesitons ... (Simple)

4. linux sudden death...

5. simple Fax quesiton!

6. can't get output from pipe after stop/resume

7. simple network quesiton

8. auditd

9. NIC and RedHat installation quesiton.

10. _REALLY_ simple Linux Installation questions

11. I need sofware for use Arnet SmartPort Plus multiport card!

12. AIX newbie: How to find hardware/sofware configurations in AIX?

13. mod_ssl installation: simple question