Storix Backups - questions/comments?

Post by Marc Bin » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:44:13

Hi all,
I downloaded and installed the free backup software from the Storix web
site and it looks good but we definitely could use the features of the
licensed version. I installed the full trial copy and looked over the
docs but I wanted to get some comments before I invest too much time.

We have an environment of 2 SP frames (16 nodes) and about 30 standalone
boxes. We'd like to have Storix do all the backups across our FDDI
network instead of the SP ethernet (we dont have an SP switch).

1) Can my CWS be the manage the backups for SP and non-SP system
backups?
2) Do I have to attach my tape drives to the CWS or can they go on a
node?
3) Can non-SP systems backup to a tape drive on a node?
4) How can I tell it to use the FDDI network instead?
5) Any comments on experiences you've had with the product (i.e.
support/reliability)?

Thanks in advance

Storix Backups - questions/comments?

Post by Anthony Johnso » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 05:10:30

I'l let someone else comment on the support and reliability of the product since I'm just a little biased, but I will answer your technical questions:

> Hi all,
> I downloaded and installed the free backup software from the Storix web
> site and it looks good but we definitely could use the features of the
> licensed version. I installed the full trial copy and looked over the
> docs but I wanted to get some comments before I invest too much time.

> We have an environment of 2 SP frames (16 nodes) and about 30 standalone
> boxes. We'd like to have Storix do all the backups across our FDDI
> network instead of the SP ethernet (we dont have an SP switch).

> 1) Can my CWS be the manage the backups for SP and non-SP system
> backups?

Yes, SP nodes and standalone systems look the same to Storix, except that there are options that apply to nodes that do not apply to standalone boxes, such as the hardware controls and recustomization.

Quote:> 2) Do I have to attach my tape drives to the CWS or can they go on a
> node?

They can go on any system, CWS, node or standalone box.

Quote:> 3) Can non-SP systems backup to a tape drive on a node?

Yes.

Quote:> 4) How can I tell it to use the FDDI network instead?

There are 2 ways: either configure the clients and servers using hte FDDI hostname or you can add an 'alternate hostname or IP address' when you configure the server record. This way you can select during a backup or restore whether you want to use the primary (ethernet) or alternate (FDDI) network.

Quote:> 5) Any comments on experiences you've had with the product (i.e.
> support/reliability)?

Our SP customers tell me they can't live without it.

Anthony Johnson         1-619-291-4500
Storix Software         1-619-291-4590 (fax)

Storix Backups - questions/comments?

Post by RR » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:59:34

Quote:> 1) Can my CWS be the manage the backups for SP and non-SP system
> backups?
> 2) Do I have to attach my tape drives to the CWS or can they go on a
> node?
> 3) Can non-SP systems backup to a tape drive on a node?

Storix is very flexible you'll find.  The answer to all three of your
questions here is certainly yes, if you want to, or no, if you don't
want to.

Quote:> 4) How can I tell it to use the FDDI network instead?

Make sure to use the adapter name of the FDDI cards when defining your
clients.

Quote:> 5) Any comments on experiences you've had with the product (i.e.
> support/reliability)?

Storix is the only system backup software we sell now.  I've been
recommending it to my customers for a while, with very good success,
and just a few days ago we arranged to become a reseller ourselves.
No more Sysback for us, though.  Not that Sysback is a bad thing, but
that Storix is that much better.

I remember the days of backing up my nodes with mksysb to a big NFS
filesystem* off the CWS, then having ADSM (now TSM) run through
and back up all those images and such.  What a mess heh.  If you have
an SP you'll like Storix.

1. Backup Solution for 4.2.1 and 4.3.x (Backup Express vs. Storix)

Hello All,

   We're a development shop running 4.2.1, 4.3.2, and 4.3.3 servers.
I've been running Backup Express with a 3590 drive (10 tape changer)
for a while now, and am very happy with the product.

   The problem is that I need a more elegant mksysb/OS type of backup.
Currently it amounts to running around with an external 8mm SCSI tape
drive, as time and events dictate.

   I've been looking at Storix, but it's  more money, and I can't tell
from the website if it supports the 3590 drive with the 10 tape
changer.

   I don't necessarily need the pretty GUI of Storix, but a
networked/centralized method of mksysb's  (preferably to the 3590
tapes) would be perfect for my needs..

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences in this arena?  Thanks,
Dave Moreno

2. Problem compiling kdebase...

3. "live" filesystems backup on AIX using backup/mksysb/sysback/storix

4. Program that notices registered users when themes they are interested in are updated, via e-mail.

5. Storix System Backups

6. Philips PCI SAA 7145

7. BETA: Storix Backup Administrator Version 2.0

8. IrDA locking fixes for 2.5.X on the way...

9. Storix Backup Administrator for AIX New Features!

10. Magstar 3570 and Storix Backup Administrator

11. Storix Backup Administrator for AIX 2.0

12. Storix System Backups

13. Storix for AIX backups?